Bathroom Sink Backs Up into Tub

Category Plumbing
Some plumbing clogs result in one fixture or drain backing up into another one. This is usually indicative of a main line clog. This is a page about bathroom sink backs up into the tub.

When the sink in the bathroom drains, the bathtub fills up with mucky black water. Then it slowly drains out of the bath tub.

By Jackie

Answers

Best Answer

One thing you could try, is blocking the drain in the bathtub, putting some water in the sink, and vigorously plunging the sink drain. It may be that a good plunging will dislodge the clog. I used to use this technique when I blocked the drain with gunk from my garbarator, and the other side of the twin sink would fill with foul water. Cover one sink, and plunge in the other.

We have been living in this house for 10 years now and we were never able to use the upstairs bathroom sink or tub. With the tub, the water drains at a ridiculous rate like 10 drops a day. The (PVC) line seems to be clear. It has a floor tub drain to it that has rusted off.

Next which I have found to be odd, is if you are using the sink, the sink drain seems to go back into the tub. I have proven this by having the tub filled with clear water and pouring a 1/2 gallon of red dyed water in the sink. The red dyed water drained and went into the tub. The drain for the tub is @ 3 feet from bathroom door on the left side, and the drain from the sink is 11 ft from door on the right side. The bathroom measures 12 long X 5 wide. It is at the front of house. I need help as to what possible thing it might be. We did change the commode 7 years ago and the bathtub water went down quickly, but we still have the sink issue.

Answers

improper plumbing inside the wall

10 year problem is a long time. Any reliably handyman or plumbers you know of or have friends / family recommend?

Or any to give you a quote / free estimate on what may be the issue or how much it'll cost to fix?

It sounds like a clog in one of the pipes.

I don't know the solution to your problem but I have had my bathroom plumbing drain into the tub before. I've seen it with my sink and once with my toilet that needed to be replaced. I think we just used a snake to make sure the clog was cleared in our sewer outflow.

I'd probably call a plumber if none of your home remedies have helped. 10 years is a long time to not be able to use your bathroom and the amount of time might be making the clog or break even more difficult to clear.

Good luck and do let us know what you finally do to clear it.

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingFebruary 27, 2018
🌻
🎃
🎂