Best Way to Smooth Cut Glass Edges

I'm cutting glass bottles to make drinking glasses. Currently, we are sanding the edges using a 80 grit sandpaper in a tub of water. It's quite a bit of work. We are going to go and find a coarser sandpaper for the first step or I may try using a Dremel or drill to sand the edges. I'm wondering if anyone has any other tips or suggestions to make it easier.

Thanks!

Best Answer

I found that the best way to smooth the sharp glass edges was to use a coarse 40 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, then finer grades until the edge was as smooth as I liked. It's time intensive but not too bad with practice.

We experimented with using a dremel or drill but this was a bit more messy, requiring a face mask and protection from shards of glass. It was more difficult to keep the edge flat. It was just easier to do it by hand.

I havent tried this but I have seen where you can take a belt Sandor mount it upside down and sand the edges that way.

www.bing.com/.../search?q=sand+cut+bottles.&view...

That makes sense, we may try that. A flat surface is helpful to keep the edge of the glass from getting wobbly, especially at first. These are a cool project but definitely a lot of work.