Bird Feeders and Confused Squirrels

I hang my birdfeeders on a shepherd's pole. There are 3 squirrels that keep climbing on the pole sitting on the bird feeders and eating all the feed. I yelled at them, threw things at them, and still they climbed and ate.

Finally my husband suggested I spray the poles with Pam so I went out and sprayed them really good. The next morning we were woken up by the squirrels barking and my husband saw them trying to climb up the pole only to slide back down.

All day the squirrels kept trying, only to slide back down. It was so funny! Finally they decided they would hang around the bottom of the feeders and eat whatever the bird dropped which wasn't much!

By Jackie from Salisbury, MD

Another way to keep the squirrels off your shepherd's pole is to rub Dollar Store generic mentholatum rub on it. They hate the smell and it stays on their paws!

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJune 27, 2012
📓
🐛
🌻