When preparing this easy meal, make the black bean salad and salsa the day before serving. This makes the whole meal very easy to prepare and serve the next day! I also serve tortillas and additional salsa with the chicken and black bean salad! This meal is very colorful and makes a lovely presentation! Perfect for company! You will get lots of compliments!
Super Easy Mexican Chicken Bake
- 2 or 3 whole chicken breasts, de-boned, skinned, and halved
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup homemade salsa
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground sea salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup shredded farmers cheese, or Mexican cheese for sprinkling on top of chicken (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, melt butter in oven while preparing chicken. Mix eggs and salsa in a small bowl. In a separate bowl combine bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper. Dip halved chicken breasts in egg/salsa wash and then roll in bread crumb mixture. Repeat a second time.
Remove 9x13 inch baking dish with melted butter from oven. Roll chicken in butter and place in dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes until juices run clear. Sprinkle cheese on chicken and bake an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with additional salsa, guacamole, tortilla chips, and a black bean and corn salad!
Fresh Homemade Salsa
- 28 oz. can diced petite tomatoes, drained (save drained tomato juice in the freezer for another recipe!)
- 1 small can chopped green chili peppers
- 1/2 small red onion diced (or 1/4 sweet onion, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. hot red pepper sauce
In a medium-sized bowl, mix the drained tomatoes, green chili peppers, onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper. Stir in the vinegar, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, and red pepper sauce. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours before serving. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 2 cups.
Fresh Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 oz.) cans whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 medium sized sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 - 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) jar pimentos
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 lime, juiced
- Freshly grated rind from lime used for juice
- 1/2 cup low-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients in order listed. Toss and chill in a tightly sealed container for two hours before serving. This is an excellent, colorful and fun salad to make! Very refreshing during the summer!