Black Bean Veggie Burgers
A while back my family decided to eat a less meat and more beans for health reasons. I realized that the veggie burgers in the freezer section were too expensive for something I could probably learn to make at home, so I did a little research and came across this awesome recipe online! I toned down the spice so that the veggies and garlic could come through as well. Feel free to tweak the spices or add hot sauce to taste.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Link: Veggie Burgers
- 6 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (A 1 lb package makes about 8 cups)
- 2 bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp strong chili powder or 3 tsp mild
- 1 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and chop the veggies.
- Mash 4 cups black beans to a fine paste, reserving 2 cups for texture.
- Mix in with veggies, spices, and garlic.
- Mix in the eggs and breadcrumbs, adding breadcrumbs 1/4 cup at a time, until the mixture can be easily formed into patties.
- Form patties and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the burgers begin to brown, feel firm, and crack a little on top.
- To freeze, let the burgers cool completely. Freeze flat on the baking sheet until solid (about 3 hours). Transfer to a freezer bag and store for up to 3 months.
- To cook, thaw and place the patties on a stovetop pan on medium heat to brown the top. Flip halfway through cooking. Alternatively, thaw and cook in the microwave until warmed through.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!