ElectricalHome

Breakers Tripped When Changing Dryer Plug

I was changing the plug for my dryer, in an older home I just bought. My circuit box is not labeled well. I thought the correct breaker was off. Guess it was not. As I pulled the wires through the plug box. Sparks went everywhere. If flipped a 15 amp breaker. And half way flipped the main 100 amp breaker. Will it work again if I just replace the 2 breakers? Or could more be wrong?

Yikes...you had me at sparks. It sounds like you are quite handy and that is awesome, but when I hear sparks, I always suggest calling in an electrician to take care of things.

We almost completely lost two homes in our town to fires over the past few years. Both fires were from DIY electrical projects gone wrong. Both have rebuilt, but was a long, painful, expensive process.

I am a safety first person, so I hope you will get someone to look at it. Post back with an update! Thanks!! Prayers for an easy fix!

Sparks are a fire hazard. Please call an electrician

Leave this to the professionals,be careful!

You unplug the dryer before changing the cord. Leave the new cord unplugged until thoroughly changed, and screwed on correctly with safety covers in place. You either had the cord plugged in while you were trying to attach it to the dryer, which is a huge mistake.

Or you hooked the wires on the end of the cord to the wrong places. Another possibility is there is a problem with the dryer. My suggestion is have somebody help you label all the breakers in your fuse box. There should be how to videos on YouTube.com. Then watch several about how to change a dryer cord.

Anytime wires short and spark the breakers will trip. This is a safety feature in all home. What you need to do now is check the wiring where you are working and make sure it is up to code. if not you will need to replace this with the correct wiring in your home. Once this has been fixed you can go to the breaker box and replace the burned out fuses in the box and change them out. When doing so make sure you inspect the wires that go to the fuse and make sure it is not black and chared.

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalAugust 15, 2019
🌻
📓
🐛