Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 355 Posts
I love cream soups. This combination was great. I used broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes and cheese! It was the best. I had never made it before. I just made it as I went along.
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut-up the stems, put those aside. Cut-up the flowerets and put those aside
- 1 small head of broccoli, do the same as above with the broccoli
- 1 large Idaho potato, chopped fine
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- Stalk of celery, minced
- 1 med. carrot minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 qt half and half
- 1 8 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Seasonings; to taste: start by using an 1/4 tsp of each then do a taste test. Salt, black pepper, dried basil, garlic powder, cilantro, (2 Tbsp. of sugar). I put a few dashes of hot sauce in at the end. It gives a great flavor and is not spicy!
You will notice that I use a mini chopper that minces everything.
- Using a large soup pot, put butter in the bottom.
- Take cauliflower and broccoli, cut up all the stems of both, leaving just the flowerets. After chopping stem, put them in a small pan and boil until tender.
- Then add to the pan the rest of the cauliflower and broccoli, just to start steaming then.
- Meanwhile, cut up, onion, celery, garlic and carrot. Put it all in the chopper, and mince it.
- Turn the heat on the large pan with the butter. High until it starts sizzling, turn down to med- low. Add all the minced vegetables, stirring well.
- Add the can of chicken broth and 1 can of water. Add seasonings. Stir!
- Drain the broccoli and cauliflower, reserve some of the water. Pour all into the pot! Stirring well.
- Now add the half and half, keep heat low, it will stick easily. Do a taste test for salt or flavor! Adjust the seasonings if needed! Now add diced up potatoes. Let cook until soft.
- After simmering for about a 1/2 hour, use an emulsifier to blend everything together and smoothly.
- Now just add and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, stir good and remove from the heat. This is ready to eat! This is a great soup on a cold day or night
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.