Icelandic Vegetable Soup Recipe
Try this recipe for Icelandic vegetable soup for a hearty meal on a chilly day. Goes great with some crusty bread.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
One of my close friends lives in Iceland, and he's given me some wonderful recipes over the years. I used one of his Icelandic stew recipes to come up with this soup and he's given me his stamp of approval. It is super hearty and delicious, and is so comforting on these chilly days. I like it with a squeeze of lemon and some crusty bread.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat some oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and leeks and cook until edges are lightly browned.
- Add carrots and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes.
- Throw in potatoes, cauliflower, broth, and water. Bring up to a boil.
- Add bay leaf and oregano. Lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the oats and kale and continue to cook for about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with some fresh lemon juice and crusty bread.