SoupsRecipes

Icelandic Vegetable Soup

One of my close friends lives in Iceland, and he's given me some wonderful recipes over the years. I used one of his Icelandic stew recipes to come up with this soup and he's given me his stamp of approval. It is super hearty and delicious, and is so comforting on these chilly days. I like it with a squeeze of lemon and some crusty bread.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

1. Heat some oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and leeks and cook until edges are lightly browned.
  2. Add carrots and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add mushrooms and garlic, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes.
  4. Throw in potatoes, cauliflower, broth, and water. Bring up to a boil.
  5. Add bay leaf and oregano. Lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes.
  6. Stir in the oats and kale and continue to cook for about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with some fresh lemon juice and crusty bread.