Building a House Frugally

I would like to build a house on my own. I do mean by gathering all the materials myself and putting together a home. Has anyone ever done this on a frugal budget? I would like to know how and where to get the materials. I'm interested to hear of your costs as well. I do plan on building little by little, from the ground up. Any advice and or experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

There are many resources online (how to build a house" and books in libraries to help you.

Hi Day Go,

Mother Earth News magazine has, over the years, done several articles by people who have built their own homes from the ground up, some of which was done with found materials. On their website you should be able to look up the publication dates of these articles. You may have to buy back issues on a C.D.

Countryside and Small Stock Journal is another magazine you might find helpful.

Also I would check out YouTube for this kind of information.

Hope this helps!

4truelady has the right idea. I googled stack lumber homes and got a ton of articles, this one in particular.

www.motherearthnews.com/.../build-a-house-stacked-2x4s-zmaz83jazshe...

I wish you tons of luck. We would all love to see what you come up with!

You will need to find out whether this sort of thing is allowable in the area where you live. Some areas are much more restrictive than others. Rural areas and small towns may be more viable. However you build, you will need to find out about building codes. If you are building a standard sort of home, you will have more options. If you are building from alternative materials such as an earthship out of used tires, a home out of flaxstraw bales and plaster, or similar ideas, you will have to find out where such a home would be allowed. My son and daughter-in-law are building an underground home with a living roof that uses many recycled and natural materials. They have been able to source recycled windows from our local housing authority that was changing out double panes for triple panes; they were able to get these free of charge.

They also obtained off-cuts of granite and quartz free of charge from places that installed granite countertops. These places have to pay to have these scrap bits crushed into gravel and hauled away, so my son offered to haul these away, and so could take all he wanted. He gets a tremendous amount of help from articles on the internet and from books. He has also had to learn how to do a lot of things, and has had to redo some things because he made some mistakes. He is building this very frugally, but it is taking a long, long time-- over 5 years. I do not want to discourage you, but you must be prepared for a tremendous amount of hard work and you must do a lot of research to find out how to do things if you do not have carpentry, plumbing, and electrical skills. Also, I do not think you should attempt electrical and plumbing work without consulting a professional.