Butterscotch Squares

My husband loves the butterscotch squares at See's Candies. But, it can get expensive to "feed" his habit! I came across a recipe for copycat butterscotch squares. They looked so good, that I had to make them. They are delicious. The texture is similar to old-timey fudge. The flavor is deep and rich, similar to penuche. The only change I made was dipping my candies in chocolate chips. Most of my batch was dipped in white chocolate (my husband's favorite).

Total Time: 20 minutes to make, a few hours to cool.

Yield: About 30 candies

Source: crazyforcrust blog, recipe "copycat Butterscotch Squares"

1. Line a 9x9 inch pan with foil. Spray with cooking spray or grease with butter.
  2. Heat brown sugar, cream and butter over medium-high heat. Stir until melted. Bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat to low. Stir mixture occasionally. Simmer until candy thermometer reaches 236 degrees F. It should take about 8 minutes or so. Turn off heat.
  4. Add vanilla and salt. The mixture will boil up when you add the vanilla. Be careful to not get the hot candy on you.
  5. Whisk in powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
  6. Pour into pan. Let cool for a few hours. Please ignore the big indentation in the candy. My husband couldn't resist!
  7. Time to cut the candy. The candy will be flaky and break easily. Start off by cutting the candy into quarters. Then use the tip of your knife to cut the smaller squares. Some will break off but no one will notice if you take a little piece! You should get about 30 squares, depending on how big you want your candy.
  8. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat another 20-30 seconds. Stir. If needed, heat a little more til the chocolate is smooth.
  9. Ad

10. Carefully dip the candy in the chocolate. Some pieces will break off into the chocolate. But, that's okay. Place dipped candies onto wax paper. Let candy harden. Enjoy!

Yummy, yummy, yummy!

1st time candy maker here! It was easy, but requires patience. My family is very pleased. It is crystalline solid and melts on your tongue just like SEE'S!

I think next time I will pour this into mini muffin cups and after they sit I will cover with a light layer of milk chocolate. Easier to eat and cute presentation.