Buying and Using Yeast for Baking

Category Baking
Active dry baking yeast comes in a variety of sizes. You want to be sure the amount you buy, retains its freshness and remains active. This guide is about buying and using yeast for baking.

For many years I have been making my own bread, mainly because I like to know that I am eating healthy bread with no preservatives, etc. I used to purchase the yeast in a glass jar that had to be refrigerated once it was opened. It recently increased to $7.29 for a 4 oz. jar. Outrageous.

I decided to go to the health store where I purchase loose herbs & spices. The yeast is sold in 8 ounce containers (refrigerated) for $2.99. Very decently priced. Also purchase your herbs & spices loose in the health store as you are not paying for the containers as you do in the supermarkets plus they are fresh, fresh, fresh. Happy day to you.

By joesgirl

If you have a recipe that calls for 1 package of yeast and you only have bulk dry yeast, this guide will tell you how many teaspoons of yeast is in a packet.

Two different types of yeast on a cutting board.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How many ounces of yeast do I need for 5 lb of flour?

By Mark from Hamltion, NJ

Answers

If you are making a recipe that calls for 5 lbs. of flour doesn't the recipe tell how much yeast to use too? Otherwise do some googling and see if you can find something.

Many recipes will call for about 1 pkg of yeast for each 6-7 cups of flour. Five pounds of flour is 17 1/2 cups; so it's roughly 3 times. A package of yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoons. Remember that there are many other factors determining the amount of yeast in a recipe.

Mark, if you do a lot of baking go to:baking911.com It's an excellent source of answers for all baking questions.

Depends on how long you want to let it rise. Look at YouTube and you'll learn all you need to know. If you want to let it rise all night you can use 1/4 teaspoon for a loaf, if you want two hours, use a package.

I tried the all night rise this week and it tasted great!

I recommend Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. If you go to their website you'll find some info about the low yeast method.

Hi Mark,

The ratio of yeast to flour is also dependent on what else is in the bread dough. How much salt, how much sugar, how much shortening or butter etc.

I recently made 5 huge loaves of bread, and a dozen cinnamon rolls using a dough that had a half pound of butter, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 4 tsps salt, 4 medium boiled potatoes along with the 4 cups of water they were boiled in, and
I added 1/2 cup milk. I used 3 pkgs of dry yeast and about 6 pounds of all-purpose-unbleached flour.

It took nearly 3 times as long for it to rise as it normally does when I'm making just plain white bread, but oh my, what a nice flavor it has. The potatoes are a great addition to almost any bread, but not everyone, of course. Remember, the less yeast you use, the longer it's going to take the dough to rise, but it develops a better flavor
in that process.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your bread making. Just realize that it's very addictive. Contrary to what I'd often heard about taking out your frustrations or anger when kneading bread dough, I knead all the love I feel for those who will be eating the bread into mine. :-)

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

My new bread machine cook book calls for either instant yeast or bread yeast. Can anyone tell me where to find it?

By Kathy C

Answers

You can buy the yeast at the grocery store in packets or I have bought it by the pound at the local health food store. Make sure that it's bread yeast when you buy it. You can keep it in a glass jar on the door of your fridge for a year or more.just make sure the glass jar is dry inside when you put the yeast in it. It's much cheaper by the pound and you can always share it. Look on the back of the packet of yeast to see how much it contains and then use the same amount of the by-the-pound yeast.

I buy my yeast by the pound also. I pour it into a plastic container & freeze it. Take out what you need to make your bread & put the remainder back in the freezer.

You can buy bread yeast at any grocery store. Red star or fleishman's iare good good. If you want to buy a large quantity go to costco or even Walmart. Keep it in a jar in the refrigerator but be sure you take out the correct amount and let it come back to room temperature before using it.

Also, a hint for your bread machine, use dough only cycle and then punch it down on a lightly floured board and shape it into rolls or bread. Let rise until doubled and bake in oven. That way you have nicely shaped loaves.

I think almost anywhere. I bought mine at BJ's.

I can buy outdated yeast for real cheap, but will it be as good? Can I use 2 packets in place of one?

Patricia

Answers

By guest client (Guest Post)

I assume you are referring to dry yeast packets. Keep them in the freezer indefinitely! Sprinkle into 1/4 cup lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar to activate before using. If it does not foam up after 5 minutes, it is unusable as a leavening.

By guest client (Guest Post)

I teach cooking for a living. Don't buy out dated yeast. yeast is a little plant and it does not regenerate after the use by date. You would be better off buying good fresh yeast and freezing it for the time between dates in an air tight container. Let yeast warm to room temprature before using. You'll have great baked goods and they won't taste yeasty. Out dated yeast will not rise with good resalts. It really doesn't makke good sense to waste your money and time on poor old products.

By guest client (Guest Post)

The best bargain I ever found was outdated yeast. I bought it at a flea market. The man was selling it Three Triple packages for 50 cents. I pointed out that it was outdated, and asked him if it had been stored properly, explaining to him that it might not be any good. He said he bought it at a food auction and didn't really know anything about it. Then told me he would sell all he had to me for just what he paid for it. What a bargain it turned out to be!! I took a chance for $2.00 and carried home 185 triple packages that were 6 months out of date. I took 3 or 4 packs at random and checked them by dissolving them in warm water with a little sugar added. They all were good. I then put them in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer. That was in July of 1998, and I am still using from them. In fact have a loaf of bread almost ready to come out of the oven this morning.

By guest client (Guest Post)

You can buy fresh yeast CHEAP at Sam's Club, B J's and like stores. It comes in big bags and is less than 1/10 the cost of the triple packs. Buy it there, open and put some in small airtight package in fridge for immediate use and put rest in ziplock in freezer until needed.
Measure what you need, when you need it and put rest back. You will have yeast for MANY bakings.

What is dry yeast and where can I buy it?

By Noemi

Answers

Go to google.com and type in dry yeast.

Go to google.com and type in dry yeast.

It is a dried form of cake yeast and can be found in the baking section of most grocery stores with flour and baking powder.

Can I make fresh yeast at home?

By Sharan

Answers

Look up sourdough starter on line. It's kind of like harvesting yeast from the air. Make some, and when you want to bake, you need recipes using the starter. You take part of the starter for your recipe, and replenish what's left with more of the ingredients you used to make it. You can make bread, pancakes, muffins, etc. Take a little care with your starter, and it will develop it's own flavor, and will last for years. The bread is a little sour, but delicious.

Can you use rapid or regular yeast or or cake?

By Chris

How many teaspoons would be the equivalent of 10 grams of yeast?

By JoAnn P

How many packets of yeast are in a case? These are the small packets of about 2 1/4 tsp.

By Lynda