Calico Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
Calico refers to the coloration of these sweet, loving, and loyal cats rather than defining an actual breed. Calico cats are generally accepted into many breeds except, for example, pointed breeds, ie. Siamese. This is a guide about Calico breed information and photos.

I have heard that over 99% of all calico cats are female. Many years ago I read an article in a cat magazine that explained this. Apparently, color in cats is related to gender somehow. Does anyone have any easy to understand information about this?

Answers

Best Answer

It is because of the x and Y chromosomes. Tne x determined the coat. The entire explanation is here:www.readersdigest.ca/.../

We have a young calico colored cat. It has very light tan markings plus blue colored markings and no other color on it. I have never seen a blue and light tan colored cat before. Does anyone know anything about this color of cat?

By Lynda from Grinnell, IA

Answers

It's called a Blue Cream or a Dilute Tortoiseshell or Calico depending on how much white.

Tortoiseshell is probably the name you are looking for.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Pepper is a calico cat and lives in the barn. We adopted her when we moved here. We noticed lately that she loves to climb trees and shrubs. She had been eyeballing the bird feeder for a few days; watching from the ground.

What a surprise we had on Christmas morning to find Pepper in the bird-feeder. She had moved in and was ready to ambush. :)

By Sheila

Pepper (Calico Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 19

Tilly and Sophie are 3 months old and Calicos. My daughter's friend found the kittens abandoned in her garage. They were only about 3 weeks old.

They love to chase each other around the house. And they snuggle together when they sleep. They really love each other!

By Beth from Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment Like this photo? 16

Cheebus is 9 years old. Cheebus is very special to me because my best friend gave her to me right before she passed away from a sudden severe stroke at the age of 29. I wasn't looking to have another cat, but she told me I'd make a good mother.

Oh, has this cat ever brought so much joy into my life. The best thing about her is I think of my late girlfriend -every- time I look at Cheebus. What a beautiful gift. Cheebus knows my schedule very well. She will sit inside the bathroom sink minutes before she knows I'm going to brush my teeth and put on my makeup. She likes to sleep next to me the way a human sleeps in bed. When I wake up in the morning, she is laying parallel to me with her head on the pillow and her body tucked under the blanket, body straight. Cracks me up every time! She is truly something special.

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

Tater (Tat) is less than a year old. She's a "Heinz57" (mixed breed, unknown, Mutt). When I first moved here my neighbor brought her to me. She likes to catch mice and bring them to me! Tater likes to nap with me.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Pip is an 8 year old calico cat. I found her as a tiny kitten one very hot day while taking a walk. She was huddled on the sidewalk in the corner of a downtown building.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Kelly is a 6 year old long haired, calico cat. We got Kelly from a friend who is moving from Washington to Michigan. She has been living with us for three months now. Kelly is very loving, playful, and flirty cat.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

Bella is a 4 year old Calico Cat. I was fostering Bella last year for PURRS in Naperville. I fell in love with her and wanted her to stay with me forever.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Callie is a 4 1/2 years old calico cat. We got Callie from a friend, when she was a tiny kitten. She was the runt of the litter. Callie loves to play outside, and chase the butterflies.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

How often do we feel just like this while waiting for that important fax? This is Gizzy, our 2 year old.

My husband named her Gizmo after she had laid her ears flat out once as a kitten while watching a bird.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

Since I got this fish aquarium, it is Callie's favorite place to sit. She loves watching the fish swim and bats at the outside glass. Bet she would love to really get at my fish!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Lucy is a 10 year old Calico cat. I got Lucy 9 years ago when a friend had a baby and got rid of Lucy. I would rather have Lucy then a baby any day.

Comment Like this photo? 7

This is Molly. She is a healthy 7 year old, and was about 2 weeks in this photo. She's a medium-long haired calico. Molly was found by my neighbor when she was 2 days old.

Her eyes didn't open for a week. We fed her with a bottle which you see, she took to easily.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Penny was a rescued barn kitty. Her owner needed to move and could not take her across country.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

I got her from my aunt about 4 months ago, but I knew her when she was a baby as well.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Earlier this year, I was all ready for a kitten. I had bought food, a litter box, litter, toys, a brush, a bed, everything I needed. The only thing I was missing was the kitten.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Callie is 5 years old and a calico. We got Callie as a kitten several years ago. She is the mother of 4 beautiful kitties. We kept 2 and gave 2 to other family members. We had her fixed so she won't have any more kittens.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

I was working from home and when my girlfriend came in she gave me a box and put it in my hands while I was on the phone for business.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Cali was our daughter's cat. She got her from the Humane Society on Ohau. She came to stay with us for awhile and was the acting mommy cat to our little tabby Pekoe.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Maggie the Cat (Calico). Maggie is a 3 year old Calico Cat. A friend gave her to me when she was a kitten.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Ms. Jewel is our calico charmer's name. We brought her home from a Animal Rescue when she was six months, as her previous owner passed away. It was funny because of her vibrant colors, we named her Jewel. However, I think she was meant to have this new name.

Comment Like this photo? Yes
Load More