Calico Breed Information and Photos

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print
Calico Cat
Calico refers to the coloration of these sweet, loving, and loyal cats rather than defining an actual breed. Calico cats are generally accepted into many breeds except, for example, pointed breeds, ie. Siamese. This is a page about Calico breed information and photos.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 179 Feedbacks

I have heard that over 99% of all calico cats are female. Many years ago I read an article in a cat magazine that explained this.

Apparently, color in cats is related to gender somehow. Does anyone have any easy to understand information about this?

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
Best Answer

It is because of the x and Y chromosomes. Tne x determined the coat. The entire explanation is here:www.readersdigest.ca/.../

Answer this Question

We have a young calico colored cat. It has very light tan markings plus blue colored markings and no other color on it. I have never seen a blue and light tan colored cat before. Does anyone know anything about this color of cat?

By Lynda from Grinnell, IA

Answers

It's called a Blue Cream or a Dilute Tortoiseshell or Calico depending on how much white.

Tortoiseshell is probably the name you are looking for.

Answer this Question

33 Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Pepper is a calico cat and lives in the barn. We adopted her when we moved here. We noticed lately that she loves to climb trees and shrubs. She had been eyeballing the bird feeder for a few days; watching from the ground.

What a surprise we had on Christmas morning to find Pepper in the bird-feeder. She had moved in and was ready to ambush. :)

By Sheila

Pepper (Calico Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 20

Tilly and Sophie are 3 months old and Calicos. My daughter's friend found the kittens abandoned in her garage. They were only about 3 weeks old.

They love to chase each other around the house. And they snuggle together when they sleep. They really love each other!

By Beth from Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment Like this photo? 16

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts

Cheebus is 9 years old. Cheebus is very special to me because my best friend gave her to me right before she passed away from a sudden severe stroke at the age of 29. I wasn't looking to have another cat, but she told me I'd make a good mother.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 228 Posts

Tater (Tat) is less than a year old. She's a "Heinz57" (mixed breed, unknown, Mutt). When I first moved here my neighbor brought her to me.

She likes to catch mice and bring them to me! Tater likes to nap with me.

Tater (Calico)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Pip is an 8 year old calico cat. I found her as a tiny kitten one very hot day while taking a walk. She was huddled on the sidewalk in the corner of a downtown building.

Sleeping calico cat on cushion

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Kelly is a 6 year old long haired, calico cat. We got Kelly from a friend who is moving from Washington to Michigan. She has been living with us for three months now. Kelly is very loving, playful, and flirty cat.

Long haired calico cat portrait

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

Bella is a 4 year old Calico Cat. I was fostering Bella last year for PURRS in Naperville. I fell in love with her and wanted her to stay with me forever.

Bella calico cat

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 170 Posts

Callie is a 4 1/2 years old calico cat. We got Callie from a friend, when she was a tiny kitten. She was the runt of the litter. Callie loves to play outside, and chase the butterflies.

Callie (Calico Cat)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

How often do we feel just like this while waiting for that important fax? This is Gizzy, our 2 year old.

My husband named her Gizmo after she had laid her ears flat out once as a kitten while watching a bird.

Cat Laying on Fax Machine

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

Since I got this fish aquarium, it is Callie's favorite place to sit. She loves watching the fish swim and bats at the outside glass. Bet she would love to really get at my fish!

Cat sitting next to aquarium.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Lucy is a 10 year old Calico cat. I got Lucy 9 years ago when a friend had a baby and got rid of Lucy. I would rather have Lucy then a baby any day.

Comment Like this photo? 7

This is Molly. She is a healthy 7 year old, and was about 2 weeks in this photo. She's a medium-long haired calico. Molly was found by my neighbor when she was 2 days old.

Her eyes didn't open for a week. We fed her with a bottle which you see, she took to easily.

Molly (Calico)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8
Load More

Pets Cats Cat BreedsJune 18, 2013
🎆
🌻
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Calico-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html