Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipes
This holiday meal staple is actually perfect any time. Their beautiful orange color is only surpassed by their great taste. This page contains candied sweet potatoes recipes.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Read More Comments
I don't like candied sweet potatoes most of the time. They are just way too sweet for me. As for canned... shudder! I do like the mix of sweet and hot, though. And I love oven fried sweet potatoes with savory spices. So this was a natural thing for me to make.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Depends on how much you make.
- 1/3 cup butter, more to taste
- 4 cups sliced sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar or to taste, I use less.
- 2 - 3 Tbsp mild molasses, I use a little more
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- I don't peel the sweet potatoes. The skins are safe, and are very nutritious, and high fiber. Wash them, pare any blemishes. Cut in slices about 1/3 inch thick.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the potatoes and saute until slightly browned, starting to soften.
- Add in the sugar and molasses (you can use brown sugar instead), salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add water after the potatoes are lightly browned. Add spices. Simmer until done and liquid is a little thickened! You might have to add a little more water if it starts getting too thick.
- You want it to be a sauce, not caramel. It depends on how thick you slice the potatoes, and how high you have the heat.
- 6 peeled cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 whole cloves
Arrange potatoes cut in half lengthwise in uncovered baking dish. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in saucepan. Boil 5 minutes. Pour over potatoes. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes. Baste occasionally. Serves 6.
By Robin from Washington, IA
Boil all ingredients except sweet potatoes together for 5 minutes. Pour over cooked sweet potatoes in a shallow pan and bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until delicate brown.Read More...
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
Cook potatoes with skins on until soft, but not mushy. Peel and cut in half lengthwise. Arrange in greased baking dish.Read More...
In small saucepan, heat first 3 ingredients to boiling. Simmer 5 minutes. Pour over potatoes that have been place in a 9x13 inch baking dish.Read More...
- 6 medium size sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 orange, thickly sliced with peel
Peel potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil, add orange and cook until almost tender. Arrange potatoes in 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. Melt butter and add sugar and corn syrup. Pour syrup over potatoes and let stand in refrigerator overnight. Cook slowly at 250-275 degrees F for 2 hours. Cover first hour.
By Robin from Washington, IA
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.