Canning Rings to Raise Laptop

Vote for this contest contender!

I just moved. My laptop is now my main computer. Last night, I had it on for a while, on top of a wooden box with a drawer in it. I heard a 'whirring' sound. I went to check it out and felt the heat from underneath.

I grabbed some jar lids I keep handy "for times just like these" when I need something to fix something else. Sure enough, I had the same three jar lids all the same size. Putting them under the computer did the trick.

Sometimes the simplest things can save the day! N-JOY!

Source: None

Link: None

I must have been tired when I posted this. Canning lids would have been more accurate!!

I think you had it right the first time. The lids are flat and would do nothing to dissipate the heat, whereas the rings are about ½ inch or more tall and should help quite a bit.

(Canned my first corn over 60 years ago)

I think I changed the title to say "ring". I would consider the lid to be the flat part and the ring to be the outside. :)

Right. The ring is the screw on part.

Thank you both! I just know that the lids raised the laptop off the wooden surface so either way works. I haven't had a minutes problem since.

Sandi

On second thought, you may have been right, all along. Some canning lids are a two part unit consisting of a flat lid and a separate screw on ring, while other types are a one piece unit. Your picture seems to be of one piece units, which would be called 'lids'.

(Actually, tho older 'one piece' units consisted of two parts, a one piece lid and ring and an inner non removable glass lid. I'm sure Litter Gitter and cybergrannie will remember these. I do.To confuse matters more, some of those older lids were made with removable glass inner lids).

Sandi, I hope we haven't confused your fans too much. This is one time among many, I should have kept my mouth shut. Zip!

No need to zip. I appreciate the feedback. I have had so much "overload" lately it's a wonder I know my own name. Gotta love people who have your back!!