CanningFood and Recipes

Canning Using 2 Quart Jars

Category Canning

I have 2 quart jars (1/2 gallon) from my aunt. I would like to can tomatoes in them. Has anyone used them before? What can I put them in and how long do I process? Thanks for your help.

By JAM

You will need to have an extra tall canner so that the water covers the jars by 1-2 inches. If you only have two jars they may have a tendency to fall over or tip in the canner so you may want to use regular qt jars for your tomatoes. Quarts take 45 min to hot water bath with a cold pack and 15 minutes for a hot pack. I use my 2 qt jars for dried beans, dehydrated onions and that sort of thing or freeze dill heads in for use during the winter.