FurnitureRepair

Can't Open a Hide-a-Bed

The hide-a-bed will not open all the way. It can be pulled out of its base, but will not open from that position.

I would spray a little WD-40 on a rag and wipe the joints. It may loosen up the mechanism enough to open it.

This site has some suggestions, which are helpful as even a tiny obstruction like a dropped coin stuck in the wrong place can gum up the mechanism. Been there...done that :(

www.hunker.com/.../the-frame-mechanism-on-my-sofa-bed...

Is this a hide-a-bed that you have used before or is this new to you? These can be tricky so if you continue to have trouble, may have to look for the brand and give the company a call.

• If I have trouble with something like this and I cannot find help, I usually resort to calling my local Sears repair shop as they sell so many brands and many times you can get some assistance over the telephone.
  • Ad

• Check the ends as there may be a clip somewhere that lets you lock the mechanism because sofa beds are known for springing out and bashing you in the legs. Clips can get locked without you knowing it.
  • If you cannot find a lock then be sure there is nothing (a small object) obstructing the mechanism.
  • If you have not used your sofa-bed in some time then it may need lubrication; WD40 or a silicone spray will work but be sure to protect the furniture and your floor. Wipe off excess.