Caring for a Wild Baby Bird

Category Wildlife
The best place for any baby is with their mother, but sometimes you find an orphan. This guide is about caring for a wild baby bird.

We found these little birds crying at the end of the garden, looking lost, no mother around. We put together some dried leaves and mini twigs in a bamboo basket and wooden cheese box to see if they needed nesting. Surely enough, they got right in and got comfortable.

We found this site helpful for helping birds:

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/top10/nestingbirds.php

Thor is a 6 week old thrush (bird). Thor was found when his nest fell out of our big oak tree. We brought him in the house and put together a mash to try to feed him with. We weren't sure if it would work, as saving baby birds usually doesn't work.

The mash mixture was chicken layer crumbles (we have 16 chickens) which is high in protein and other avian nutrients, soy milk for protein, crushed blueberries for antioxidants,and vitamins (plus thrushes love fruit), smashed banana, and a bit of water.

He was fed this mixture every hour for the first week. After the first couple of days and he was growing feathers and beginning to stand, we knew he was going to make it.

Now, after 6 1/2 weeks his routine is to be taken outside during the day, where he flies around eating bugs, flower petals, and berries. He comes to the door and taps on the glass when he wants me to hand feed him some of his mash, which is 4 or 5 times a day. In the evening, at dusk he's waiting outside on his cat carrier house for me to bring him in.

When he comes in at night he spends time in a big cage (that belongs to our Macaw, but she doesn"t use it), then once the shades are put down he wants in his little cat carrier house for his last feeding and to be covered up for the night.

Some day he may fly off permanently, but in the mean time we're his family and this is his home. The ornithologist I contacted online is the one that told me my bird was a thrush, I thought he was a robin. They're in the same family so I was close! This professor was impressed that Thor had survived and was the one that told me that Thor considered us his family. He suggested we keep him inside during the winter. We'll figure out something, but in the mean time we're enjoying watching him fly around the property, playing with the other birds, landing on our shoulders, and teasing the dogs with his flying acrobatic abilities.

So if anyone finds a baby bird, try out our recipe as it has proven to work beautifully. Thor likes to land on our heads or shoulders when we're outside. He hangs out watching me as I take care of the chickens and the gardens. He also enjoys teasing the dogs, flying close to them to get them to chase him as he performs his acrobatics. Thor has been such a sweet blessing to our family. His chirping is fun to listen to, especially when he's obviously talking to us. He likes to stand on a finger and just tell us all about his day. I would love to know what he's actually saying, but by the tone I can usually tell if it was fun and exciting or if he's telling me about something not so great.

He's been a wonderful addition to our menagerie!

By Viktorija from Edmonton, KY

During the summer, one can often find baby birds sitting or hopping along on the ground. Often, people assume that these babies have "fallen out of the nest" and are in need of human help.

I grew up with animals and always had a great love for birds. My parents moved to Ontario and I had to sell all my birds :(

I found a baby bird on our steps outside and have been feeding it. I need to find a home for it. What do I do?

Gladys from Chelsea

Answers

By NickiX (Guest Post)

There are wildlife rescue organizations that may be able to help or call your local humane society. I knew one woman who kept the birds and raised them (they were too injured to release--like deformed leg, etc.) Good luck and thanks for your kind heart!

NickiX

By wonderlady4crafts (Guest Post)

Here's some possibilities to look up near you online or in yellow pages. If they can't help you directly they will advise you or refere you to a source near by.

Wildlife Sanctuary
Wildlife Rehabilitation
Local Zoo
Bird or Animal Rescue Groups
Vets sometimes know the groups and what they do as well as have refering resources.

Becareful what you feed the young ones they can't tolerate some things and actually what we sometimes end up doing is not good for them.
I know and learned the hard way.

Usually birds do better without human intervention. They can be "grounded" for a while while they learn to fly. Most times we do them much more harm than good by trying to help. We had a baby robin that was on the ground for about a week. Then he was flying to the picnic table/propane tank, then low tree branches. He got flying good in about 2 weeks.

Dear Gladys!
If you are helping the bird survive, you are doing what very few people on this Earth are capable of doing. I suggest you keep doing it until the Bird learns to fly and decides to leave on it's own.
Maybe the bird will decide to stay with you. What kind of bird is it?

Congratulations on keeping the baby alive! You should be very proud of yourself. Now that it's time for Birdy to go elsewhere, please contact your local ASPCA, Humane Society or the like. They have programs in place for situations like yours. It will be fostered with a trained, licensed wild life rehaber.
Best regards-
Cheryl

My son found a baby bird in the middle of the road yesterday. It's trying to fly, but still hasn't gotten it down yet. So we put it in a old bird cage for the night and will let it try to fly again today, but here's my question. What do I feed it?

By Sis from lower AL

Answers

You need to take the baby bird back outside and put it in the grass. Believe it or not, you are doing more harm then good. When people find baby birds on the ground, they think they have fallen out of the nest and need human help. They don't. Momma birds actually kick out baby birds when they are old enough to learn how to fly. It is a lot safer to learn to fly from the ground then it is from a tree. It sounds horrible to leave them alone, but that is what you should do.

Try a formula of raw sunflower seeds, egg yolk (hard boiled) and evaporated milk. Put in food processor and make a mash of it.

Feed softened kitten food...I have done this NUMEROUS times with 100% success. Good luck

My sister found a baby robin. She fed it Alpo dog food. She had to scoop it out onto an eye dropper. Maybe you could use a stick. This robin, called Baby, used to fly all over the neighborhood and come back to my sister's back enclosed porch. She had this little wooden box that he used to sleep in. One day he just left and never came back, but it was a nice summer with the little guy.