Carpenter Bee Neighborhood Issue

We have a huge carpenter bee issue at home. They love our wood deck, cedar trim, and composite siding. I cannot go outside with my kids to play (2 and 1 yr) because they attack us. We paid someone to treat them last year and they are back. If we use your products and are able to rid them from our house, how do we keep them from coming back since our neighbors and neighborhood is infested with them? They are everywhere! Even walking down the side walk, they will chase you. I get attacked everyday I try to get our mail (from our wooden mailbox). I am so frustrated.

By Nicole H

You probably will have to re-treat periodically since they are in the neighborhood. I suggest a metal mailbox.

I'm sure there is a lot of information on the internet about controlling them. We used to plug up their deck holes with cigarette filters, just the right size. I happen to like carpenter bees and do stare-downs, weaving and bobbing. But...we also have an infestation; they live in neighbor's roof. It's only in spring and hot days that they are a real problem. They don't land on you, fortunately.

If possible, put up swallow (a bird) housing, because these insects are treats for hawks and swallows, I'd imagine. I've seen hawks swoop down on my carpenter bees and scoop up two at a time. They are pollinators, so don't use pesticides, unless as a last resort, because will also kill honeybees.

Nicole,
I did some online research. Here is a great link:
insects.about.com/.../How-To-Control-Carpenter-Bees.htm

The best preventive is to paint or varnish your wood surfaces, as the bees prefer untreated wood. The above link has instructions for applying insecticide. If you search, there may be some "natural" tricks. Also, wear white or light colored clothing, which might have less provocation for the territorial critters. And continue looking online for natural "tricks" so they don't come up to you. Maybe put a big fan on your deck, which would probably discourage them.

Stuff their holes with plain steel wool as tight as you can pack it. They can't chew through it and will leave if they are outside the hole and die if they are inside. You have my sympathy, as they are chewing my treated and stained deck and my painted wood front porch to death. Will have to replace my front porch soon, unfortunately, thanks to the bees.

Anonymous

If you have the time a propane torch with a can of carburetor cleaner works great . Just be careful and not burn the building down. And it fun