CatsPets

Causes of Strong Cat Urine Odor

Category Cats

Why all of a sudden does my eight year old male cat's urine smell so strong? I did change his food could that be it?

By Tia J

We have a female spayed 3 year old cat. When she pees in her litter box, it really smells bad. I tried different kinds of litter, Arm and Hammer, regular and Double Duty, but still doesn't work well. We scoop out the litter at least once a day or every other day, but still have the smell. I also clean and scrub out the box once a month. I even add some deodorizing powder in her box and an air freshener by her box, and still nothing works.

I was wondering if it smells like that when she pees, could she have a urinary tract infection? It just happened recently since I changed her food to Iams cat food. Could the food be the problem? If so, what would you recommend I feed her? I haven't had her tested yet, but wanted to try a different food first. Any suggestions would be helpful.

By Linda D.

Answers

I have not had this particular problem. But if your cat does have a UTI she is in great pain. Have her checked out right away at the Vet. and ask the Vet about the food/odor problem.

Of course it is the grocery store food. Read my previous posts. Switch to Evo. Litter? I have no problem with Costco's big green litter purrfect.

Hello,
Please take her to the veterinarian for a urinalysis. The odor in her urine is bacteria. Your veterinarian will do a urinalysis and prescribe the proper medication and diet for her. A UTI (urinary track infection) can be very painful. This test usually comes back from the lab the next day, but your Dr. can also do an in-house urinalysis to determine what the immediate problem is.

I also recommend that when your Dr. does the urinalysis that you ask him to also do a culture on the urine, this will help your Dr. to prescribe the proper medication. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Good luck