Chili is Too Spicy

Category Food Fixes
When your chili has too much hot pepper, it may be unpleasant for some people. There are a few ways to temper it down. This is a page about chili is too spicy.

My husband made a double batch of chili for a picnic tomorrow and it's incredibly hot. Short of throwing it out (hate to do that), can it be saved?

By Marlene from N. Billerica, MA

Answers

Best Answer

I'd make a second double batch without spices and put them together. Then I'd take out what I need for the picnic and freeze the rest.

If over-salted or over-spiced chile has you ready to dump out the whole thing, don't. There is a simple solution using potatoes!

When I have over-salted, or over spiced my chile (and I have), I peel a few potatoes, slice them in half, pierce a few holes in them with a fork and add them to the pot of chile. I simmer for about thirty minutes then remove the potatoes. The potatoes soak up the excess salt or spices like a sponge! You can also use those potatoes for making mashed potatoes, or whatever you wish, just don't forget and add more salt! Lol

Source: My mother

Top Comment

I really do NOT notice that potatoes help. However a tablespoon of peanut butter absolutely has saved my chili and has NO nut taste.

I received a package of pre-made chili and the seasoning is too hot. How can I make it a milder chili?

By Joy Nichting from Cincinnati, OH

Answers

Best Answer

I add sour cream to my chili if it's too hot. Works great to cool it down.

Best Answer

Here is a chili recipe I make:

1 lb. ground beef or chili meat
1 14oz. can each of stewed tomatoes, pinto and or kidney beans

1/2 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons chili powder, I use Mexican style
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 jalapeno whole (optional)
1/2 can beer (optional), can substitute water

Brown ground beef, drain excess fat and return to pan, then add onion and cook till translucent. Add garlic and spices, cook for 1 minute. Dump in beans and tomatoes, add beer or water to desired consistency. Drop in jalapeno and simmer for 20 minutes.

I hope this helps. It's cheap, easy and delicious.

P.S. I serve this with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese on top. Oh, and some homemade cornbread. YUMMY!

What can I use to tone down the effect of too much white pepper in my chili?

By Pat from Vista, CA

Answers

Best Answer

My daughter and son-in-law keep yogurt or buttermilk in their refrigerator to take the heat out of Indian food. I wonder if adding a dollop or two of sour cream to the chili would have the same affect.

How do I tone down canned spicy hot chili? I didn't realize I had bought hot spicy canned chili and now I'm stuck with all these cans of chili that I can't eat due to stomach problems I have.

By Cheryl

Answers

Best Answer

I wouldn't suggest eating it at all if you have stomach problems, since there isn't any way to completely remove the spices. Instead, trade the chili with a friend or neighbor who likes spicy things in exchange for some other canned or packaged food you can eat.

I made chili and it is too hot. What can I add to make it less spicy?

Joanne from Vero Beach, FL

Answers:

Chili is Too Spicy

Why not pour most of the juice off and add more tomato juice? I wouldn't add any more seasonings, and see if that works. Hope this helps. J. B. (01/03/2007)

By Joyce

Chili is Too Spicy

I know that too much salt in a soup can be remedied by adding a potato. Maybe you can try that, or add some extra liquid and some masa flour, I know that masa flour is used in some recipes for chili. (01/04/2007)

By Michawn

Chili is Too Spicy

This sounds like a good time to experiment! Check out several different chili recipes from different parts of the country and note things they call for that aren't in your recipe. See what sounds interesting and try a small sample batch with it. Also before you start experimenting, I like Grandma Bess's idea about removing the liquid, but don't pour it out. Reserve it until you get things balanced the way you want them. And rather than replacing it with tomato juice, I'd use beer and perhaps some tomato paste.

I've seen chili recipes (from Kansas, I believe) that called for cocoa or other chocolate variations. I played with that idea once and will probably come back to it, but it didn't work well with the other stuff I was using. That might help a bit with your problem though. And I don't know how much you made or how much is too hot it is for you, but you might consider browning up another pound of beef or lean ground pork and adding that and a can or two of red beans. If you wind up with more than you can use, just bag and freeze the rest. Good luck, and happy cooking!
(01/04/2007)

By Warren D. Lockaby

Chili is Too Spicy

Try adding a little white sugar. Simmer, taste, if still not right add more sugar and simmer until you have the flavor you want. (01/04/2007)

By Elaine P

Chili is Too Spicy

Oh, one other thing: I like to incorporate a little bit of sugar (or honey, molasses, etc.) and a little vinegar (usually 'cider vinegar') to help bind and smooth out the flavors, and to help it keep a bit better in the fridge. Don't get carried away with this though. Add maybe half a teaspoon of each per quart at a time, stir, simmer, and taste. And if you use ketchup remember that it already has sugar and vinegar so you won't need as much, if any. Too sweet or too vinegary is as bad as too hot! (01/04/2007)

By Warren D. Lockaby

Chili is Too Spicy

I've done this; I added a can of beer, and let simmer, it works great! (01/05/2007)

Chili is Too Spicy

If you didn't use vinegar or lemon juice, you can pour a little heavy cream in just before serving. If you don't have heavy cream, whole milk might do the trick. You can also grate in some cheese. Any milk product will diffuse heat. G'luck : ) (01/05/2007)

By Doggy

Chili is Too Spicy

You can add a couple more cans of beans. Sour cream can also tame the fire. (01/07/2007)

By kflocey

Chili is Too Spicy

My dad's chili is never spicy. Try different recipes. I like how my dad makes it (it's the best). Tomato sauce, tomatoes, hamburger meat, and kidney beans. Sometimes he puts water in it to make it less thick. (02/17/2008)

By Alora

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesFebruary 5, 2014
🐛
🌻
📓