Chilled Spinach Soup

Spinach has been a fabulous superfood for ages. Just ask Popeye! It's packed full of vitamins, iron, calcium, and is an excellent pick-me-up when you need some energy. These hot summer days have me feeling a bit lethargic, so this chilled spinach soup really comes in handy. You can skip the entire chilling process if you'd like to have it hot, which is also phenomenal.

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  2. Stir in broth and spinach. Increase heat to high until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  3. When you can easily poke a chunk of potato with a fork, it's ready to puree.
  4. Allow to cool a bit, then pour into a blender (or use a handheld emersion blender) and blend until super smooth.
  5. Return to pot. Stir in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
  6. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Allow to chill in the fridge for a couple hours before serving. Garnish with a swirl of heavy cream and sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

Something new for me to try - maybe hot first and cold later?
Sounds like a good "pick me up".

thanks,
Betty

Hot first and cold later sounds like a plan. I remember my mum used to do that when we were kids. We wondered if the cold soup was out of convenience ;) It ended up being yummy!