Chinese Pug Breed Information and Photos

Category Pug
These good natured, energetic, and playful dogs make great family pets. This is a guide about Chinese Pug breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Pug has a square, compact body, strong muscular legs, a tightly curled tail and a flat, wrinkled face that bears a sweet expression and looks as though it's covered by soot. This is a loyal, affectionate, breed that can be clown-like in its antics and tends to get along well with both people and other family pets.

Group: Toy Group

Purpose of Breed: Companion

Country of Origin: China

Average Size: Dogs range from 12 to 14 inches and 13 to 20 pounds; Bitches range from 10 to 12 inches and 13 to 18 pounds.

Color(s): Typically silver, apricot-fawn or black, with clearly-defined black markings on the face.

Coat Type: The pug has a short, smooth coat of fine glossy hair.

Grooming: The Pug's coat is easy to maintain and only needs a vigorous brushing once or twice a week. This breed is a minimal shedder and requires standard care for ears, pads and nails. Eyes have a tendency to weep and should be examined regularly.

Exercise Needs: Pugs need only a moderate amount of daily exercise to maintain their physical health. They are a suitable breed for small homes or apartments. They do not tolerate heat well and should be briskly dried if wet.

Temperament: Pugs are outgoing and social dogs that enjoy the company of both adults and children. They are even-tempered, but can be willful and stubborn at times. They are cheerful, playful, clever and mischievous all at the same time. They are alert, loyal and suspicious enough around strangers that they will sound the alarm when they feel it is necessary.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to patellar luxation, epilepsy, breed specific encephalitis, eye problems and skin problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-15 years.

Trivia: Napoleon's wife Josephine used her Pug, "Fortune" to carry secret messages under his collar to her husband while imprisoned at Les Carmes.

More Information: Pug Dog Club of America, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Trixie is a two year old Pug. After much research into the perfect dog for children (young and old alike) that could handle apartment to farm lifestyle, we found Trixie from a local breeder in the area of FL, where we were living at the time.

Trixie is all "pug", she is a clown and loves to make people laugh. She has her own racetrack: she runs around the house. She enjoys playing ball, snuggling, walks, car rides. Unfortunately, when feeling a little retaliatory (if not taken for a car ride when the rest of the family leaves), she likes to rip through all the garbage pails and spread it all through the house.

Trixie is the life of our family and we love her very much! To us, there is no other dog as special as her!

By Babetta from St. Peters, MO

Comment Like this photo? 7

Willie is a 9 month old Pug. We got Willie when he was 6 weeks old. He loved to run around with Dexter, his BFF. He just passed from parvo. RIP Willie, the most adorable little guy ever! We will miss you and never forget you!

By Maria

Comment Like this photo? 8

Max Lee Halcomb is 5 months old and a pug. I got him on July 13th 2010 . He likes to play, eat, run and dress up

By Charity

Max (Pug)

Comment Like this photo? 6

Mama's Little Pugsley is a 9 year old Chinese Pug. Pugsley is my mother's pet. She got him as a Christmas present when he was 6 weeks old. He likes to dominate the household, especially the bed.

He loves "ice skating" outside when its icy, digging in the kibbles and spitting out what he doesn't like and chasing his tail. He runs like the wind through the house and smashes his tail end against the wall. He will conquer the world with his cuteness.

Pugsley sleeps in bed 24/7 with an ill person. He won't leave bedside for anything if someone is sick. He pretends he is the biggest dog ever and spoiled rotten.

By becca25 from NY

Chinese Pug

Comment Like this photo? 3

This is my dog Lucy. She was born this way. We love her so. She has really bad breath. :)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

Gizmo is an 11 year old Chinese Pug. I got him in October 1999 through a breeder. We love pugs though, we had just lost our fawn, Cashew and were looking to buying a Boston Terrier.

The lady had this one runt of a litter left and asked if we wanted to see him, he was so full of life! He has been a great dog.

What does he like to do? Nothing anymore! He sleeps, sleeps and eats. But out of all of them, he has been the least trouble.

The picture says it all. How can you not love the face? The gray hairs show all the life he has had and it is SO rare to get a good picture of him. Because of him, we have been involved with Nothwest Arkansas Pug rescue and foster abandoned pugs.

By Nicole

Chinese Pug

Comment Like this photo? 9

Roxy is my 15 month old Pug. She was a Christmas present in 2009. She likes to play all the time. She loves to be cuddly!

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

She was a surprise present to me from my boyfriend. Penelope loves to kiss everything from couches to floors, etc. She also loves to go on the walk with her grandpa and doggie friends, Eva and Shinook. Also Penelope loves to eat, especially her morning breakfast from grandma and grandpa.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

Harley is 3 years old. He is a Pug, I bought him off craigslist. He likes to run around the swimming pool and wrestle with his best 'bud', Banjo. He likes to eat potato peels

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Scooby-do is a 4 year old Pug. She was born here 4 yrs ago.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Photo of Koko (Pug). Koko is our 6 month old Pug. We got her from a breeder in South Caroline in February.

Comment Like this photo? 1

Baby Ninja was 7 years old and a pug. We got him on October 14, 2001. He liked to do anything we do. He was the best dog, he will be severely missed. We love you baby, Mom.

In Memory of Baby Ninja (Pug)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

She is very smart and likes to give lots of kisses and play with blanky. She is being paper box trained and is catching on very fast. She was crate trained the first day we brought her home. She also likes to sleep.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Pookie will be 7 years in July. She is a Pug I purchased in 2003. She likes to play with her people.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Hamlet is a 6 month old Pug. I got Hamlet on 12/13/2008. He likes to playing tag, soccer and mostly loving on me. Hamlet is the sweetest little dog and very smart. He has brought sunshine back into my life.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Tazor was 2 years old in May 2008. He is a Pug. He was the "runt" of the litter. I fell in love when I went to see a friend who breeds pug, I had never seen pug puppies. Tazor was the smallest one and so sweet and loving.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Milo, my 2 year old pug, was adopted by me after his first owner died unexpectedly and wasn't found for 5-6 days. Milo went in the cupboard, got into his bag of food and was healthy and happy when discovered. He's a survivor!

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

We fell in love with our little girl the minute we saw her at the shelter.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Bubba Mail is a 6 year old Chinese pug. I got him in 2004 when he was 6 weeks. He was such a ham as a baby and till today hes the brat of my family. He likes to dress up and eat his doggy junk food, lol.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Betty is 9 weeks old and is a pug. I got this pet on the same day my nana was to be buried, we named her Betty after her. She loved dogs.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Pugsley Marie is 9 years old and is a Pug. I bought Pugsley 3 years ago from a girl I work from that didn't want her anymore.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Puggles is 10 months old and a Pug, of course. My aunt's dog had a litter of puppies and Puggles was the only one left after everyone picked through them.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Daisy Duke is a seven month old chinese pug. We purchased Daisy when she was eight weeks old from a breeder in Mineral Wells TX. My husband and I saw her puppy picture on the internet and called the breeder right away. Daisy loves to lick ears, feet, basically anything you will let her.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

In 2006 we were offered Bustrain, by a friend who rescued him. In 2010 we were offered Rufus by another friend.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1