Breed Information: Pug

Breed Description: The Pug has a square, compact body, strong muscular legs, a tightly curled tail and a flat, wrinkled face that bears a sweet expression and looks as though it's covered by soot. This is a loyal, affectionate, breed that can be clown-like in its antics and tends to get along well with both people and other family pets.

Group: Toy Group

Purpose of Breed: Companion

Country of Origin: China

Average Size: Dogs range from 12 to 14 inches and 13 to 20 pounds; Bitches range from 10 to 12 inches and 13 to 18 pounds.

Color(s): Typically silver, apricot-fawn or black, with clearly-defined black markings on the face.

Coat Type: The pug has a short, smooth coat of fine glossy hair.

Grooming: The Pug's coat is easy to maintain and only needs a vigorous brushing once or twice a week. This breed is a minimal shedder and requires standard care for ears, pads and nails. Eyes have a tendency to weep and should be examined regularly.

Exercise Needs: Pugs need only a moderate amount of daily exercise to maintain their physical health. They are a suitable breed for small homes or apartments. They do not tolerate heat well and should be briskly dried if wet.

Temperament: Pugs are outgoing and social dogs that enjoy the company of both adults and children. They are even-tempered, but can be willful and stubborn at times. They are cheerful, playful, clever and mischievous all at the same time. They are alert, loyal and suspicious enough around strangers that they will sound the alarm when they feel it is necessary.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to patellar luxation, epilepsy, breed specific encephalitis, eye problems and skin problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-15 years.

Trivia: Napoleon's wife Josephine used her Pug, "Fortune" to carry secret messages under his collar to her husband while imprisoned at Les Carmes.

More Information: Pug Dog Club of America, Inc.

I have a Pug, and I had to laugh when you said they are "minimal" shedders...there is not one article of clothing in my closet that has not been shed upon.

Of course, she hates being brushed, so we don't do it as often as recommended.

Other things she hates:

We wipe her facial wrinkles once a day with baby wipes to prevent fungal infections. This is a one person job, but she attempts to eat the baby wipe.

We clip her nails once a month or as needed. This is a two person job. Any book about Pugs will tell you that they do not like having their nails clipped, and they are not kidding.

You should also mention that they snore. Loudly. Pugs like to be where their people are, so if you have trouble sleeping with loud noises, maybe Pugs aren't for you.

I recently got a beautiful black pug. His name is Louie and he is so sweet and playful. He loves meeting new people and pets. He is very smart and definitely has a stubborn streak. We are busy taking puppy classes and it is going wonderfully. He isn't a fan of nail clippings but as long as you don't hold him down he's good. I groom him and my cat once a week. He does snore but I find it comforting. I've heard people call pugs "velcro dogs" that is true he is always near me or in my lap. I love it, but someone who likes to have their own space should probably look at a different breed. Enjoy the picture. I wanted to put one of my cat but I can't. He's a handsome black cat named Figaro. He's still not that impressed with Louie, but Louie is fascinated by him. :)

My daughter just posted a pic of her new pug, Louie.
He is wonderful...here's another pic of him. We love him sooooo much!

I have a wonderful pug named Chantz. She is Queen of the house and knows it. She demands attention and always receives it. Compared to all the other dogs I've had growing up and now she's got to be the best and they are very trainable.

I want anther fawn male pug. Please call Asdheville, NC 1-828/551/1235. I will pick him up or pay after delivery.