CurtainsDecorating

Choosing Curtains

Category Curtains

I have a red accent wall with a bay window and then another accent wall directly across the room. The rest of the walls are a very light beige. I have leather "off white, egg shell" sofas. I like to have a simple draped curtain, something I can open daily to admire the scene from the bay window. I am confused on color. Adding this red to the walls is nice, yet a bit much. I am just not used to it yet and want to be very careful with adding other colors. I was considering green maybe for curtains? Any thoughts?

By Patricia S. from Ft.Bragg, NC

Green will give you a more holiday feel and is a bit dark for my taste. But, if you like a rich cozy type of atmosphere, this might be the color for you. I tend to like white as an accent to red. It helps brighten up a room that has dark accent walls. A sandy yellow can also look quite good with red. If you have simple decor you could think about getting a white based curtain with a pattern, maybe even with red accents. If you have a more busy decor I would stick with a solid color.

I'd go with white, or with white that has a pattern on it in red, primarily. If you liked flowered prints, for example, white with red flowers (could also have other colors). You might also go with a neutral like tan, if you have other things of that color in the room such as throw pillows. Or tan with a red print. I definitely would not go with green. This is too big a contrast with the red - they are complimentary colors on the color wheel, which means you have the greatest possible contrast using them together.