Cleaning Algae From a Pool

Keeping your pool crystal clear requires that you remove existing algae and prevent its regrowth. This is a guide about cleaning algae from a pool.

Filter systems in above-ground pools are often not as robust as in-ground pools. This can make algea growth more of a possibility. This is a guide about algae in an above-ground swimming pool.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking for home remedies for removing algae from swimming pools. Also, what is blue stone?

By peggy from Findlay, OH

Answers

On The Fine Living Channel there's a show called "I want That!" & they showed a solar pool cleaner... it floats around in your pool & uses the solar radiation to run a battery that does something to clean the algae, etc.

You're supposed to need far less chlorine. Go to the Fine Living Channel & research the show's info or Google "Solar Pool Cleaners" The one I saw sold for around $75 bucks. Not bad if you use less chemicals!

It is hard to clean, use plain old household bleach, try added a pint of bleach to pool water everyday to keep it from happen a gain. To get rid of the algae what there now, drain the pool, and spray with pure bleach. let it dry then repeat, if you scrub the put do so, you can add a little comet to the spot also. I had this in my pool last year, and it really took me along time to get that stuff out. This year i just put a pint of bleach in the pool, and I did not have any algae this year.

Green Algae, amongst the other forms of algae is mostly stimulated by the acid water state of your swimming pool. However, there are solutions which do not require you putting chemicals in the water, hence also reducing the impact those have on your health.

you can do this by changing the constitution of the water, from acidic to alkaline, using a water ionizer such as the one at: http://www.swimmingpoolhealth.com for example. This will result in less costs, less maintenance, and a healthier swimming environment you can actually enjoy!

What do I need to do to clear up my pool? It has algae sitting at the bottom of my pool and I don't know how to clear out?

Answers

There are several guides on how to clean algae but here is a simple way to take care of your problem:

• Algae is caused by low levels of chlorine in the pool water. So you'll need to shock the algae with a high level of chlorine. You can normally correct this condition within 1 to 3 days, but it can take up to a week if your pool is bad. Pour the chlorine in the pool.
  • Ad

• Now use the pool brush to scrub and clean the bottom and sides of the pool. The more algae you can remove with the brush, the less time it will take.
  • Test your pool's ph levels and add the necessary chemicals to the pool's water. You should wear safety gear when doing this and not breath in the pool chemicals.
  • Continue to use the extra large dose of chlorine shock in your pool and scrub the bottom and sides of the pool.
  • Test the PH balance of the water and adjust your chemicals.
  • Do this daily until the algae is gone in your pool.
  • Once the algae is gone you'll need to test the PH level of your pool and keep the pool chemically balanced so the algae doesn't return.

There are special chlorine-based algae cleaners for the pool. They shock the algae when they are brushed against the walls and floor of the pool.

You also need to test the waters PH and clean the water filter.

How do you get green algae out of a above ground pool without using a chlorine system? Please help.

Navi from Long Island, NY

Answers

By Reality Check (Guest Post)

Cover the pool with an opaque cover when not in use. Algae can not grow in the absence of light. Salt will also discourage algae growth.

What kind of salt can I use to keep algae from the bottom of the pool? I jeep buying all the cleaners for the pool but one side , the farthest from the pump turns green after a rain shower

I have a pool, and it doesn't matter how much chlorine I dump in it, or how much I scrub it, the bottom is stained in places with a greenish algae-looking growth. Even a wire brush won't remove it. It's driving me nuts, and despite being clean, no one wants to go swimming. Any ideas?

Cathy from Townsville, Australia

Answers:

Algae In My Pool

Buy generic bleach. Not ultra or scented. Just plain old bleach. Pour in 3 gallons/5000 gal of pool water with the filter on overnight. The next morning you will be amazed how clear the water is. Cheap and effective. (03/14/2006)

By jack flash

Algae In My Pool

If you pool has a liner, be careful with the bleach, if it is cement, bleach, bleach, bleach and stay out of the pool for several days. (03/14/2006)

By Doreen

Algae In My Pool

Buy some algaecide, whatever kind is recommended for your type of pool. Bleach won't work, chlorine won't work. you have to buy something specifically for killing algae. (03/14/2006)

By twintoni

Algae In My Pool

Have your water tested by a pool company. Most of them will do this for free if you will be buying chemicals from them, otherwise there may be a fee of around $10. If the chemical balance is not correct you can dump in as much chlorine as you want and it will have absolutely no effect. (03/15/2006)

By Dawn

Algae In My Pool

The algacide will help, but, also, add a couple of boxes of baking soda to the circulator. This seemed to help me with mine. Good luck. Patsy (03/15/2006)

By Patsy

Algae In My Pool

If the algae has stained the pool, you will need to have it acid washed to remove the stain. (03/16/2006)

By Loretta

Algae In My Pool

I used to work for a pool store. Go to a reputable pool company and bring a current water sample from about 12 inches from the surface. Have them test this for pH and acidity, chlorine levels, etc. Use the algaecide they recommend and kill this stuff. Adjusting your pH and acidity without doing this first is a waste of time and money as the algae causes these to go out of whack. Keep circulating your pool and keep brushing the spots. This can take a lot of time. Once it is clear, maintain your pool. This is what caused this problem to begin with. Don't be afraid to ask questions. These people know what to do to help your pool. (04/07/2006)

By Christine Goodwin