Cleaning Brass

Category Metal
brass candle sticks
Brass is used in our homes in many capacities, from plumbing fixtures to fireplace doors. This is a guide about cleaning brass.

Today on the Happy Garden list, one of our list members, Nanette, mentioned a way to polish brass she learned from her husband. After she had been working on some brass handles for a while here husband told her a tip he'd learned in the Navy. Soak them in KoolAid. She tried it and it worked like a charm.

I just finished cleaning a very large brass candlestick (5 feet tall) that unscrews into sections. I soaked the pieces in the kitchen sink with 4 packages of KoolAid for two hours (I'd imagine you could use 1 package for smaller items, but this was a lot of brass). It saved me a lot of rubbing, polishing, and brass polish. The only drawback I can find is that it turned my hands red (stained by the dye) so it would be best to wear rubber gloves. Also, wash the pieces with soap and water before soaking so they will be free of dirt and grease. For stubborn spots, use a little very fine 00 steel wool.

It is supposed to work on silver also. I haven't had time to test it though.

Susan

I want to find out what I can use to clean brass, apart from Brasso. I need to clean all my door and window handles.

Roger from South Africa

To clean brass, use equal amounts of Coca-Cola and ammonia (Pepsi won't work). Mix contents in a glass bowl, dip a soft cloth into solution and wipe the brass article to remove tarnish. Rinse and wipe dry.

By Linda

Keep decorative items dusted and clean. Wash in sudsy, lukewarm water, rinse and dry. Never use hot water on lacquered items as it loosens the lacquer; do not polish them or soak them in water.

Source: http://www.msue  02/01500065.html

One of the best brass cleaners I've ever used is Worchestershire Sauce. Rub it all over and let it sit for a bit and rinse off. Does a beautiful job.

Annie

----> For brass & copper plates & bowls:

Take a lemon half, dip lemon into salt & use lemon to scrub the piece over sink.

When done rinse thoroughly to stop the chemical reaction.

Well to clean brass I have heard of filling a saucepan up of ketchup and put the brass item in there. put the saucepan on heat and bring to boil and take item out and give it a good polish. I havent tried it but i believe it works.

Even the store brand ketchup will polish brass. Just use a soft cloth and polish it the same way you would use Brasso.

Aluminum Foil! Seriously - take a piece and crumble it into a ball and rub away.

From Alton Brown - Good Eats: Good Wine Gone Bad

Copper cookware is nice to use, but difficult to clean. No problem. Just dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a cup of white vinegar and stir in enough all-purpose flour to create a thick paste. Rub this on the bottom of the vessel, wait fifteen minutes, rinse, dry, and behold. New pot luster!

What keeps it from looking black the next day after you polish. I live in Maui on the South end towards the lava fields. Can condensation cause it to look dull and if so what to do to prevent it

All these tips may work but it is not necessary to work so hard to clean copper and brass! My restaurant buys brass cleaner called Brassmate. It is a non hazardous liquid that requires NO rubbing at all. I use it on my copper pots as well as my brass at home. Brassmate is a good product and I'm just passing on what I have found.

Thank you for feed back on cleaning brass, can't wait to try the suggestions offered. kathy

I clean a church and have a little dillema. The foyer has a very nice ceramic tiled floor with some brass inlayed strips. (I just found them a little bit ago because the last person didn't pay attention to them).

I've started cleaning them with an SOS pad... yep on my hands and knees. I have found that the 'grime' I'm taking off isn't very thick. Is there something anyone knows of that I can use. Maybe even something to spray on and then use a floor machine? The trouble with that is, the inlays are below the actual tile surface so I'm not sure that using a floor machine will work.

Are there any cleaning people out there that have experience with brass inlay on a floor? I thank you for any input.. or even ideas to keep me off my knees scrubbing all of them. Thank you so much!!

Kathy

The best way is to use a buffing pad on the floor machine. That keeps the brass shiny.

i work on the altar guild. we use a lighter fluid to clean the brass candle covers. we spray pam on the bottoms so the wax doesnt stick, but i guess dirt woould stick to your floor. i cant picture what you are talking about at all. how about brasso? that is something else we use to clean our big brass stuff.

Derek and Sandy, Thanks for the input from both. I have things to try lighter fluid on and I'm definitely going to start using Pam on some things!! Derek, I've seen your name on a few posts, are you a professional cleaner? I'm not sure if there is a way to have you contact me if you are so I'll leave the post here and see if you get it. Thanks.

I am looking for a fast and easy way to clean a brass chandelier.

Go to any nice store that sells lighting. This is where contractors go to get all the lighting for new homes but these stores are open to the public as well. Ask them if they have a spray that they sell for cleaning chandeliers. I had one and used the spray and it was easy and cleaned it beautifully. Just put newspaper down to catch the drippings. It has been so long ago I can't remember anything about what kind of spray it was but I'll bet these stores will have someone who will help you.

Hi! I had a chandelier at one time and I cleaned it with a spray that was specifically for chandeliers. Try going to a store that sells light fixtures (contractors go to these stores to purchase lighting for homes they are building) but these stores are open to the public as well. There should be someone who can help you. I can't remember the name of the spray because it has been so long ago but it was easy and did a beautiful job. Just spray (put newspaper down to catch the drippings) and that's all there is to it. Lowes or Home Depot may have sprays like this too since they sell lighting as well. Good Luck.

How do I clean a brass occasional table?

By Kathy from western Australia

Make a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water. Use a small brush to brush it on. This might take some elbow grease.

I would like information on cleaning brass fireplace doors that got burned and discolored.

By choacin from IN

http://www.mrsc  ss-cleaning.html

While working on a brass USMC plaque I managed to spray some WD40 on the surface. How, pray tell, can I remove the stain it left?

There is excess tile grout covering my polished brass shower drain. How do I remove the grout without damaging the polished brass finish on my shower drain?

By Ken

How do you clean the brass around a shower stall?

By Lucy

Ideas for cleaning brass. Post your ideas.