Cleaning Fabric Softener Dispenser

How do I get rid of Downy buildup in the washing machine dispenser?

By Janet Keaster from Belt, MT

Best Answer

Vinegar. It will also clean out the soap residue in the washer and drain lines.

Best Answer

I have a 1993 Kenmore washing machine that started leaving spots on our clothes. I've never cleaned the fabric softener dispenser and when I took it off to inspect it, I found it was completely clogged with fabric softener. I tried rinsing with hot water, that didn't phase it, so I ran it through my dish washer (top shelf) twice and that got almost everything out. I used a tooth pick to get out the rest of what I could and now I'm going to run a load with white vinegar to get the rest out. From now on, it gets cleaned once a month.

Try 'Goo Gone' to clean the waxy build-up. It worked really well for me.
I had the same problem with Cindy from Reading. PA. Tons of waxy build-up in the softener dispenser 'cos I didn't know how to remove the dispenser for cleaning before. Trying to clean the gunk with vinegar only worked marginally for me. What really worked for me was 'Goo Gone', it's great for removing crayon marks, lipstick, chewing gum on clothes, hair, etc.

(I'm a Mom!) so I thought I'd give it a try, and Voila! It really works! It helped remove the stuff and then I washed off the Goo Gone with some regular dish detergent. The plastic parts in the washer all came out squeeky clean too! One note of advise, wear gloves for the job.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryFebruary 15, 2010
👔
👒
😷
🐛
🌻