Cleaning With Ammonia

I would like to mix ammonia and water for general cleaning in the kitchen, such as table, counter tops, and stove top. What ratio should I use for this mixture?

By Allison H.

A word of caution about using ammonia. Ammonia is a powerful chemical, so take caution when using it for your own safety. Always use in a well ventilated area - use gloves to protect your hands - do not breath the fumes (wearing a mask is recommended).

• Here are some recommended measurements but for just general everyday cleaning I would use a 1 to 4 ratio (1 part ammonia/4 parts water) or even a 1 to 5 ratio may be sufficient.
  • Make a cleaning solution by mixing roughly one part ammonia to two parts water and adding it to a spray bottle. In a 25 oz. spray bottle pour between 5 to 10 oz. of ammonia and fill the bottle with water. For a larger amount mix 1/4 cup of ammonia per gallon of water.
  • Ad

• Cleanser is handy in the bathroom. Use it to remove soap scum buildup and hard water stains from porcelain sinks, tubs, and wall tiles.
  • Use it to remove soap and water spots from mirrors and glass shower doors, and dingy metal fixtures.
  • The cleanser does not need to be rinsed, but it is still a good idea just to remove the lingering odors or chemical traces.

I personally do not use ammonia for cleaning in these areas (mainly because of the fumes). Hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar do a great job (these can be used straight strength) but - different strokes for different people and this is a good cleaner.

http://www.rach … is-ammonia-safe/