Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Can anyone tell me what to do if you spill clear, common household ammonia on a rug or, in fact, on anything at all? I don't have kitty litter and I live in an apt. I opened windows, doors, etc., but I still don't feel comfortable that I don't know EXACTLY what to do when I spill ammonia. I am transitioning from expensive household products to homemade and vinegar, baking soda, borax I can deal with.
Spilling the ammonia today freaked me out, though. I called poison control to get advice but I still feel like I need advice from seasoned pros. So, what do I do when I spill ammonia on rugs, canvas bags, workout gloves, walkman carrier, and so on? Thanks so much.
My guess would be to wipe thoroughly with a wet cloth. Blot carpets and furniture with wet cloths followed by a dry cloth to soak up excess. Ammonia is noxious but not necessarily toxic (unless taken internally.)
It is good that you opened the windows, etc. You can rinse anything you can pick up with clear water in the tub or kitchen sink. That will help dissipate the smell. Like Seagrape says wiping other things down with wet cloths will help. Probably the biggest danger is the smell. When you are down close to it, try not to breathe it in. Take frequent breaks (for breathing fresh air), etc.
It may really clean these things as it is a good cleaner. Make sure that you don't mix it or clean with anything using bleach.
Good luck with this. Let us know how this turns out.
Susan from ThriftyFun
Thanks everyone! I do appreciate your advice. The smell eventually diminished, but I was worried. I love this site!