Cleaning Your Ceiling

Cleaning a ceiling is a necessary, sometimes difficult chore. This is a guide about cleaning your ceiling.

If your ceiling and walls are dirty (in my case, yellow from the previous owner smoking), a microfiber mop does a fast and amazing job of cleaning them. I sprayed it with a bit of Simple Green for the first pass, but I don't know if it was really necessary because the smoke residue seemed to come off fine with just water. I also used the mop to clean the outside of the fridge and cabinets, and several doors and shelves; anything big and flat, really. I recommend that you shorten the handle of the mop if you can. Don't worry about corners and small areas. You can spot-clean them afterward.

By squidy from Seattle, WA

Years ago, we couldn't afford to paint the white ceilings of the trailer house we had purchased. I decided to try an idea I thought might work to brighten up the gray looking ceilings. I took a spray bottle of half bleach and half water mixture and went to work transforming the ceilings. I covered the floors, and counter-tops, etc. to make sure none of the bleach/water mist would get on anything. This produced very good results at a fraction of the price paint would have cost.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

I sprayed vinegar on my ceiling in the bathroom and then used my floor Swiffer to clean it up. Made this hard job easier for me but I bet you already knew that trick..

Timswife

Answers

Thanks! that's the next Spring Housecleaning project and I'm going to try your idea. We already are cleaning panelling with dustmop-for-walls-only sprayed with Panel Magic (areosol cleaner for panelling) and this works great,too.

I have elevated ceilings that have soot marks and are dirty. I cannot stand on a ladder. Does anyone know what type of tool I can get to clean them without leaving bits and pieces say from a sponge mop?

Joanzer from Cudahy, WI

Answers:

Cleaning High Ceilings

Buy more than one Swifter cleaning broom, they have parts that you screw together to make a broom. With extras, you have extra parts and the broom can end up being really long. You can use either dry cloths that stuff sticks to, e.g., for getting spiders, or they have a wet mop cloth that may be used to scrub. You won't have to stand on a ladder. Cheers :-) (01/23/2006)

By Kathy