Cleaning a Canvas Patio Umbrella?

How can I clean my canvas patio parasol which is stained by an overhanging tree?

By paul williams

Best Answer

Never, never, never use bleach or alcohol on canvas. Not only will it break down and eventually destroy the fabric, but it will also cause yellowing.

Never use harsh detergents or detergent anything. Use Woolite or natural cleaners without detergents.

Try natural orange cleaner (in a spray bottle, found at your local hardware store). This product doesn't have detergents.

Hose down the umbrella so it's saturated. Spray the surface with orange cleaner or a solution of water and woolite if you prefer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes to allow it to break down the mildew or sticky substance from the trees. Hose it down. Do it a second time if necessary, or you use a large car washing sponge to gently wipe down the surface.

I recall reading somewhere that the orange cleaner works well on canvas umbrellas, awnings, etc. I haven't tried it yet myself but the most important is to avoid using harsh detergents unless you want to shorten the life of your fabrics.

Best Answer

Spray with vinegar, allow to soak, spray again and scrub with a bristle brush. Hose off and allow to dry ( repeat if necessary. -- you can spray it , after the first clean, and let it sit over night if it is badly stained, then rinse and dry)

Use nail polish remover

I would suggest washing with Dawn Dishwashing detergent. It is good for all kinds of stains.

Are the tree stains a discoloration or are they sticky residue? That would make a difference I think, as some trees might actually be vegetable dyes, that might be more difficult to remove.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMay 3, 2010
💘
🍀
Generated 2021-01-12 04:18:25 in 651 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-a-Canvas-Patio-Umbrella.html