Cleaning a Stainless Steel Slicer After a Fire

I am looking for tips on cleaning and restoring a Hobart stainless steel slicer that was in a severe commercial kitchen fire. It still works and the motor still runs. How do I clean stainless steel in general after a fire and what should be used to rebuild oil on the drive shaft and sliding parts on the slicer. The heat was so hot in the building the lubricants are crusting off. Is burned stainless steel safe to use in a kitchen after such a severe fire?

Best Answer

Try soaking them in warm water and Dawn then sprinkling them with powdered Barkeeper's friend. Rinse off. The black bits should flake right off. If not, I'd discard it.

I second the Barkeepers Friend. It also comes in liquid form.

"Food safe" is a rigorous standard in steel production. Extreme heat may have an impact. Why not get in touch with the manufacturer and ask?

I'm not sure if it would be safe unless you can actually take it apart and clean it but your best answer would be to ask the company or ask a restaurant supply repair store for help.

Here is a link to Hobart:

www.hobartcorp.com/contact-us