Clothing Dye Ran in the Wash

I have a grey jumper that has white stripes going down the arms and red details at the front, the red stained the white strips and I have no idea how to get it out! I have tried using salt with cold water and dabbing the area, it's helping lighten the stain although it's not really going away. I want to try a bleach, but after researching I found it could cause my grey to turn lighter which I don't want! I have not tumble dried it although the it has been sitting for a few days after washing. Please help!

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

Im sure you have already tried some of the suggestions so I will only say that I have been able to remove some of this type of stain with the following methods but sometimes it required several tries with any one or more solutions.

I tried to be patient but sometimes gave up and used item as is or as a rag or a throw away.

1. Wash in cold water with white vinegar and small amount of detergent as this does sometimes do the trick.
I use a cup (or more) of vinegar to a bucket of water or a washer set on low volume.

2. Oxygen bleach does work on some items; just be sure to follow direction on the box as to how much and how to use. Generally this type of beach is safe for almost all fabrics but you may have to let it soak for several hours. The solution and garment can then be washed as usual.

3. Warm a small amount of water and use a scoop of Oxi-Clean in a bucket or pan large enough to hold the garment. Mix the Oxi-Clean thoroughly in warm water and then add sufficient cold water to cover the item. Add garment last and move it around and up and down in the bucket. Leave it for 20-30 minutes and check to make sure the red is not fading  (I have never had color fade  but?)  this may be long enough since garment has not been in the dryer. Pour bucket contents (water and garment) into a suitable size washer load and add small amount of detergent (optional) and run through cycle.

Be sure to check results before placing in dryer.

I hope you have found a solution that works for you.

Rewash as soon as possible, with a non-chlorine, oxygen-based bleach.

Go with the color change as I doubt it can be rectified. Or you could dye the whole jumper a new color.

If the red has run, then it might run again in the next wash. I'd be inclined to spend no more time and effort on it, though if you are determined to have a go, then the suggestion of an oxygen based bleach is your best bet

there are laundry products made just for this problem. One that comes to mind is Carbona Color Run Remover. There are also new sheets that you wash your laundry with that removes run marks.