Collecting Back Child Support if Father is Deceased

I have a few questions. Can an adult child (30 years old) claim back pay from a deceased father? The deceased father was on SSI for many years before passing so will SSI cover cremation expense? And finally, can any of this happen if the deceased father passed away on Feb 4th 2018 and adult child just found out April 27th 2018?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

April 30, 20180 found this helpful

My first thought is the window of time has passed. However, if I were you i would call social security and make an appointment

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 3, 20180 found this helpful

Judy is right. Only they can tell you how to proceed. Good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 4, 20180 found this helpful

Questions regarding Social Security in any form should always be presented to the SSA so that you know you have the correct answers.

  • I do not know if there is a time limit on claiming the $255 burial expense but I do not believe you would qualify to receive it.
  • There are two reasons you may not qualify for this benefit.
  • Advertisement

  • 1). Your father was on SSI which means he did not have sufficient payroll quarters to qualify for regular SS benefits so I do not believe the burial benefit would be paid.
  • 2). From SS web site: Lump Sum Social Security Death Benefit
  • A spouse (who is living in the same household) can receive a one-time lump sum benefit of $255. If there is no spouse, a dependent child generally age 18 or under (see exceptions to the age 18 rule on the minor child section of Social Security's website), is then eligible for a one-time lump sum death benefit.
  • I do not know exactly what you mean by "back pay" but I would guess you mean back/arrears support payments.
  • There would not be a benefit for this as he was on SSI and SS would not have given a benefit to an eligible child (under 18-19) since that is a government benefit that is not based on wages.
  • Advertisement

  • Here are a couple of links that explain SS and SSI benefits.

You should make an appointment at your SSA and ask your questions so you will know for sure where you stand on both of these questions.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 6, 20180 found this helpful

Being an adult, no nothing can be claimed at this point. But you can call SS in case there is more to the story we are not aware of. It would need to be a child or spouse to call, due to privacy issues, and they will need his SS number.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportApril 29, 2018
Birthday Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/24 12:26:26 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!