Collecting Back Child Support When Parent Is Deceased

My ex-husband, who never paid any child support to our daughter since birth, recently passed. He was an established dentist in California. His estate is now in probate. Our daughter is also not declared in the divorce decree, as he kept the whole thing hidden from his surviving spouse. I would like to know if I can collect for back child support, and how do I go about it?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

August 3, 20190 found this helpful

I would contact a lawyer with proof that your daughter was his child. I think you have a case.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 3, 20190 found this helpful

Did you have a child support agreement in place and it just was not honored? If so, talk to the lawyer who drew it up and see what he/she says.

Every state is different.

If you did not have a child support agreement, you can talk to a lawyer to see if anything can be done.

If you don't have a lawyer, locate your state senator (I found mine from Google by putting in my town name and the phrase "state representative". He/she should be able to offer you legitimate legal aide services that may be able to help you.


Post back with an update!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 4, 20190 found this helpful

A case with this many variables can only be settled using an attorney as it will have to be ordered by the court.
Several questions:
1.) Is your ex-husband's name on your daughter's birth certificate as the father? This is the first step to having a claim of any kind.
2.) Are you saying the child was not even mentioned in the divorce decree?
You agreed to a divorce without even mention of a child?
3.) Are there any documents showing your Ex as the father of this child?
4.) What actual proof do you have that he is the father?
5.) Has he ever claimed the child in any public situation?
6.) Did you ever try to make him pay support?


7.) Did you have any verbal agreement about support?
8.) Do you now or in the past receive state/government assistance such as Medicaid or Food Stamps?
9.) How old is the child? Does she need support now that she has not needed in the past? Is this why you are seeking assistance now and did not seek support when he was alive?

These are the kind of questions you will have to answer when you see an attorney so be prepared with any type of document you have or can obtain.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you can seek help through your family services office or contact the Legal Aid Offices.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportAugust 2, 2019
Halloween Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/26 04:10:37 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!