Collecting Back Child Support if Parent is Deceased

If a father never paid a dime throughout his whole life, and is deceased, can a child still claim owed back support? Just the question says it all. I want to know if I can do something about that.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 25, 20180 found this helpful

There is a statute of limitations. I would consult with an attorney. If you cant afford one go to the Legal Aid Society

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 25, 20180 found this helpful

There are too many factors to a question like this as we have no idea as to who you are thinking you can collect from.

If it is Social Security then you need to go to the SSA with SS numbers and ask them your question but most likely there will not be anyway to collect unless you are under 19 years of age and still in school.

If your father had any assets when he died then you will need an attorney to tell you your legal rights.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 26, 20180 found this helpful

I am sorry for your loss and sad that you seem to have so much anger about your dad. It is very sad when parents don't meet our needs or expectations. It may help you to talk to someone about that so you can move on. Please take no offense at this suggestion...I just hate to see people feeling bad enough about things that they have to ask in a public forum about things like this.


There are lots of places you can go to talk some of which cost if the funeral home where he was buried has a grief counseling service, they are usually free and can help you work through not only your grief and anger but all the financial things too.

Anyhow...for your actual question, you would need to find who executed your father's will if he had one to see if you are due any money from his estate.

If you are asking about child support, you would need to talk to whoever negotiated the settlement with your mom and him, I am assuming a lawyer

If you are talking about social security money, you need to talk to the feds:

If you are talking about money from him being a veteran, you need to contact the feds veterans services info:

There may be other places...depends on your situation.

If you have questions with the government stuff, you can contact your local state senator for help.


They are on Google...just put in your town and the words STATE SENATOR OFFICE and it should come right up.

These services are free. They are good about helping.

Prayers for you and your family.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal LegalOctober 25, 2018
Birthday Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/19 12:08:19 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!