Collecting Back Child Support

My father died a few days ago and he had lots of money owed for child support. Is there any way I will see this money in the future? What steps do I take? I'm 20 now.



Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 26, 20180 found this helpful

If you are a full-time student you are still entitled. This is a legal question. I would contact the Legal Aid Society for a free lawyer.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 26, 20180 found this helpful

You may be able to collect some money if your father had any money or assets when he died.

  • Do you know if he owned a house or any other assets?
  • Did he leave a will?
  • This could be a tricky situation so even if you do not think he had any assets it would be better to have someone with authority check it out for you.
  • Rightfully, the back support money would belong to your mother or whoever has been your guardian as the money was to be used for your care and support. Since your mother/guardian paid all the monies for your care the back support money is rightfully theirs.
  • Advertisement

  • You can go to family services in your city and talk with someone who can advise you properly. If you cannot afford an attorney they can also refer you to an attorney that will advise you without charge.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 27, 20180 found this helpful

You have my condolences on your loss. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

If you and your mom don't get anywhere on your own and need further guidance, we have used our state government representative's (Senator) office to help us get to the right places to fix our challenge. Ours even had a free notary!

I found mine rep by putting the search into Google state senator + (my town name). It came right up and the office was less than 5 miles from my house (on a bus line even).


They were amazing and helped us 3 times now with various issues. They can even give you info about legal aide if you can't afford legal counsel on your own).

Our tax dollars pay for the service so why not take advantage of it!
Good luck!!! Hope it all works out for your family. These things can be SO challenging...that is why it helps to get the experts involved!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportJune 26, 2018
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/11/29 08:50:26 in 2 secs. ⛅️️

Loading Something Awesome!