Social Security and Back Child Support

My adult children's father just passed away. He owed back child support. Can I claim his Social Security to cover the back child support?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 15, 20180 found this helpful

This is a question for Social Security. Make an appointment and bring documentation.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 16, 20180 found this helpful

If you don't get anywhere on your own and need further guidance, we have used our state government representative's (Senator) office to help us get to the right places to fix our challenge. Ours even had a free notary!

I found mine rep by putting the search into Google state senator + (my town name). It came right up and the office was less than 5 miles from my house (on a bus line even).

They were amazing and helped us 3 times now with various issues. They can even give you info about legal aide if you can't afford legal counsel on your own).


Our tax dollars pay for the service so why not take advantage of it!

Good luck!!! Hope it all works out for you! These things can be SO challenging...that is why it helps to get the experts involved!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 22, 20180 found this helpful

All questions that have to do with Social Security should be asked (in person) at your local SSA office. You can call and make an appointment so the wait time may be shorter. Be sure to have SS numbers for all involved so you may not have to make a second trip.

  • I believe the answer to your question will be no - as the person is deceased and his SS account has been closed.
  • Someone may be able to claim the death benefit of $250 so you could check that out.
  • According the type of SS benefit the children's father was drawing (SSI or SSDI or SS retirement age 62 or older) you may have been able to draw money for owed back support while he was living but I believe this possibility ends when the person dies.
  • Ad

  • As I said in the beginning, check with your SSA and if you are not satisfied then you can always ask a government agency for help.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportJune 15, 2018
Back to School Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/10 16:33:19 in 938 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!