Collecting Other Income and Benefits While On Social Security

Category Advice

I'm a single mom who is disabled. I have a 11 year old boy. I'm on disability Social Security. My whole check goes to bills. If anyone can help please let me know.


By Carol

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

August 27, 20130 found this helpful

From what I understand people on disability can earn up to a certain amount without losing any of their disability. It is a very small amount. After a certain amount, for every two dollars you earn they will take one dollar away from your disability income. That being said, as long as you can pay your bills you are lucky. There are lots of people in America that live that way, not having any extra for recreation and for their kids to participate in school activities. I would assume you are on food stamps and medicaid/medicare. Check with your local Social Security Office for the best information.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 27, 20130 found this helpful

On SSD you are allowed to earn up to a certain amount. The Social Security Office usually sends out a pamphlet letting you know what your amount is and how to go through the process of getting work while on SSD.


You really should go to your Social Security Office and talk to a representative. They may even be able to help you find employment.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 31, 20130 found this helpful

Hi - your local Social Security office is the only one that can give you information like this.

You do not say what type of disability you have but if you are drawing a check then your son should be drawing a check also. There is a lot of help available such as food stamps, assistance with housing/utilities, telephone, and local agencies and churches offer some type of help.

You should find out how much you can make before the SS will cut your benefits and maybe try to find part time employment in your local area.

There are lots of people who are struggling just to make part of their monthly expenses and cannot find suitable work that meets their needs AND do not always qualify for the type of benefits available to you.


I do not know the extent of your disability but it appears in some ways you are blessed since you are able to meet your monthly expenses with what you receive.

You do not mention your son's father so I assume he is not in the picture. Perhaps he is or should be paying child support?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Better Living Charity AdviceAugust 27, 2013
Birthday Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/19 12:55:31 in 636 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!