Collecting Survivor Benefits for a Minor Child?

My daughter just found out that her child's father passed away. He had never seen his daughter, but he did pay support for her through the court. How does my daughter go about getting her child survivor benefits? She has no information on him such as Social Security or death certificate, she also does not know any of his family. How can she get information to apply? SSA states they cant help her unless she can provide this information.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

June 9, 20160 found this helpful

Check the child support court records for their information.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 11, 20160 found this helpful

Thank you we did this. All they could do is give her the court documents. Still not very useful. She still needs death certificate and ss for him. We cant seem to get any help very frustrating. My daughters little girl is almost four she really deserves to be able to get help to raise her. Seems no one wants to help especially ssi. they had to have received a death certificate atleast they are suppose to when someone passes.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 11, 20160 found this helpful

You do not say whether your daughter was married and divorced but I feel sure that your daughter can get all the information she needs if support was ordered to be paid through the court as it could be assumed the child was eligible (proved to be his child).


I believe your daughter should try to file through the SS office so she has a "begin" date and may be able to receive benefits from that date after she is able to prove her case (that she is eligible).

It seems your daughter should take all relevant papers about the support payments to the court and find out what she has to do next.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 20, 20160 found this helpful

You have to have proof of paternity or he had to have signed the birth certificate. Otherwise there isn't any proof that the child is his.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 23, 20160 found this helpful

Can I receive my social security benefits even though I am over 18 my brother recirved benefits our father died . Although I didnot

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 28, 20160 found this helpful

Go to the Ss office they will have that information.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 17, 20160 found this helpful

How is it that child support was being taken out but she has absolutely nothing on him? If SSA cannot assist her, she knows nothing about his family....hmmm this could be tough. Here's a few options: 1. Start with the child support office. If they were taking out cs on him then she should have the cs decree. As well they should have her contact information. Tell her not to call, go down there with her daughter's bc, paperwork from cs, her (mom) ID and be prepared to sit a while.


2. His obituary will have the name of the funeral home on there. Perhaps she can look it up to get their name, contact them and attempt to get a copy of his death certificate. 3. The only other thing I can think of is to hire an attorney. They always seem to have a way to obtain information other's cannot. She's going to have to pay I'm sure but she doesn't need to give up. Hopefully by now she has found a way to get her daughter's benefits started but if not one of these may help.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
December 31, 20160 found this helpful

Anyone can call and order a copy of a death certificate from their state. Also, after a period of time, social security nunbers are public record (they are on even). Start with the funeral home for the info.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceJune 9, 2016
Pest Control
Coronavirus Tips
Summer Ideas!
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-23 15:31:25 in 847 msecs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.