Composting Dog Waste

Category Composting
Wooden compost bin
If composted properly, dog waste can be added to your garden. This is a guide about composting dog waste.

How do I compost cat and dog waste, in a small garden? Can I put it by my roses or by my raspberry bush?

By Tom from Ridgewood, NY

Best Answer

According to the USDA's booklet, you can use fully composted dog waste on your garden because composting kills harmful pathogens. But you must do the composting correctly. Oops, NOT to be used on crops for human consumption. Sorry about that.

Download your booklet here: http://www.ak.n  ov/compost.html.

When you clean up that nasty doggie poo out of the yard, don't throw away in garbage can, bury it in the garden. It will make free fertilizer for plants.

By Dee C.

Editor's Note: You can also compost it in a separate compost pile adding grass clippings or saw dust to use on ornamental plants for fertilizer. Using dog and cat manure is not recommended for a vegetable or garden anytime you are growing food.

For more information on composting dog waste, this site seems to have helpful information and precautions.

http://www.compostinfo.com/tutorial/DogWaste.htm

Answers:

Composting Dog Waste

Of course, you would not want to compost dog feces or any other animal feces, in your vegetable garden. Save this strictly for use in non-edible plants. (03/06/2005)

By lilithjune

Composting Dog Waste

This is absolutely not a good idea, will make you very ill! Never compost dog, cat or human feces. (03/18/2005)

By dj95

Composting Dog Waste

I have heard bad things about using dog and cat feces for composting/gardening. They seem to carry a lot of diseases. (10/08/2005)

Composting Dog Waste

Composting dog poop is kinda easy right now I'm doing a science project on composting dog poop and everything so far is going well even the researching part is going well even though usually that's the difficult part of the project but dog poop composting is an interesting subject that's why I chose to do my project on it. I'll keep in touch and let you all know how it goes. (01/11/2008)

By zae ru

Composting Dog Waste

You can make a doggie poop composter. You take an old trash can, drill as many holes as you can in it (sides and bottom), make sure you have a lid, dig a hole a little bigger then trash can, put layer of rocks in bottom, wrap can in hardware cloth, place in hole and fill in sides with rocks, once everything is nice and tight, you are all set. If you want, have fun decorating your lid and start scoopin' your poop in your composter and then add the septic starter. Just make sure your hole is away from edible gardens. I left my lid plain and it blended into the grass more. And there is nothing wrong with composting your dog poo if you do it right. Just because you compost, doesn't mean it will make you ill. Just if you eat it! Duh! You can compost something and use to fertilize an empty field if you want. Something is better then doing nothing.

Editor's Note: It is true that you can compost dog and cat poop but don't use that compost on your fruit or veggie plants. Ornamental shrubs are fine. (07/09/2008)

By zackarysmom

Composting Dog Waste

Do not use composted dog waste in any garden people will be eating from.

The E. Coli in dog feces is very dangerous to humans if consumed. Unless the compost is raised over 170 ft. for a good amount of time, it will contain dangerous bacteria.

(08/11/2008)

By AreYouStupid

Composting Dog Waste

Composting human or dog waste is doable, especially the humanure. Check out the "Humanure Handbook" to get enlightened. (09/26/2008)

By e1p1

Composting Dog Waste

I flush dog poops down the toilet with flushable dog poop bags.

The company who makes those bags is called Flush Doggy. (10/15/2008)

By michael

Composting Dog Waste

It seems overkill to take all that poop and put it in a can. Why not just bury it 4 or 5 inches in the ground in some unused part of the flower garden. I've been doing that for years with no negative results? (11/03/2008)

By Washington gardener

Composting Dog Waste

Composting cat waste is dangerous period. Cat waste carries toxoplasmosis which can make you very ill and is also extremely unsafe for pregnant women and their fetuses. That's why pregnant women should never deal with the litter box and sand boxes should stay covered when not in use and cats kept out of them at all times. So, if you purposely put cat poo on your plant, etc., it would need to be where nobody will ever walk or play. (05/09/2009)

By Nursipoo