Converting an Old Clock Into a Picture Frame

Category Frames
If the clock stops working there is a way the housing can be reused. This guide is about converting an old clock into a picture frame.

I bought a $2.00 Goodwill clock, only to find it didn't work once I put the battery in.

I have repaired clocks before, so I took it apart and found that the sweep hand was broken where it was to be on the shaft. Without it, the clock was pretty much worthless.

I was just about to put it in the plastic recycling, when I thought, "That looks like a frame." So, guess what I did?

I made it into one. It has the plastic cover, the color matches my purple and green room, and my 2.00 wasn't really wasted.

Hope you can do something similar when you are about to throw something out.

By poor but proud from Coos Bay, OR

Craft Project: Convert A Clock Into A Picture Frame

I took an old apple clock that quit working and gave it new life as a picture frame. Looks almost like a shadow box.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes to an hour

• Old clock with glass face
  • Craft paper
  • Ink
  • Pictures
  • Buttons
  • Ribbon
  • Stickers
  • Double sided sticky tape
  • Tools to remove clock items
  • Tacky glue to put glass back in securely
  • Glue runner
  • Sticky dots
  • Embellishments

Instructions:

This was my mothers clock and she was throwing it away till I rescued it so the pictures inside are of her grandchildren.

1. Unscrew the clock mechanism from the back of the clock.

2. Remove the glass and surrounding plastic. (Just carefully pop this out.)

3. Clean everything thoroughly. (Mine was very dusty.)

4. Cut a circle piece of craft paper to fit inside. I just traced around the glass piece then cute about quarter inch smaller.

5. Put double sided sticky tape to the back of the craft paper, but only remove the backing on the side you stick.

6. Before removing backing to tape add all your elements to the paper. Get creative. Here's what I did:

• Inked the edges of the paper in green and put some on the background paper.

• Printed off a couple of pictures so I wasn't using the originals, cutting around them with decorative scissors then pasted them down with the glue runner.

• Put sticky dots on the back of the buttons and the ribbon to adhere them.

• Added a sticker that said "Grandchildren" and a little tag that says "Cherish."

7. After adding your decorations and photos remove backing from sticky tape, and adhere it inside the circle.

8. Put a bead of tacky glue around the channel where the plastic sits and place the glass and surrounding plastic back in.

9. Let dry then you have a recycled gift that mom will love.

By Christi from Paducah, KY

Answers:

Here is one done by a friend long ago. Great way to give a keepsake picture. Thanks for the reminder.
(04/07/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

RE: Craft Project: Convert A Clock Into A Picture Frame

Best use of an "old" apple clock that I've seen. It turned out to be such a nice keepsake. Thanks for sharing your idea.

(04/07/2010)

By PookaRina