Cookware Tips and Product Reviews

Finding the best and most economical pots and pans for your kitchen is important for reliability, even cooking and easy cleaning. This page contains cookware tips and product reviews.

I purchased this pan set to make my Christmas baking easier and more enjoyable. I baked my usual tailgate blondies. They are a family favorite. Well, the pan worked great.

My daughter is getting married and I want to buy her some pots and pans that will last for as long as humanly possible but also resist food sticking. Any recommendations? I have some old cast iron pans and some newer teflon pans (cheap). What's worked well for you guys? I don't mind spending money as long as I know they are good.

Thanks!
Cat (Proud Mom) from Min.

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

I have to say "ditto" to the Farberware. When I got married many moons ago, my mother in law got me a basic Farberware Set (5 pots from large to small + 2 pans) and some accessories, like a Farberware Tea Kettle.
They are, to this day, like new. I have never needed a replacement part or anything, and I am a bit hard on things :-).

I highly recommend this and it is a great gift idea.
Anjeena

By guest client (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I love to cook so when I got married I wanted good pots and pans.....I received Cuisinart pots and pans and they work wonderful....15 years later. Also I've added All Clad pans to my set and love them. Both are expensive and are carried by Williams and Sonoma....check their outlet stores and sales on the internet and catalog. I think the price was well worth the many years of good quality I received and my pots look great.

Congratulations on your Daughters Wedding!

By guest client (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Someone else suggested QVC and it's a great idea. I own the complete Cook's Essentials line and I cook every day with them - they are wonderful. I treated my T-Fal poorly by putting it in the dishwasher, so now I hand wash these and they are like new. I'm sure you can look at them on the QVC website. Bye for now, Kat, also in MN

I am looking for some new cookware. Everything I have is mis-matched or scratched or just plain ugly. It doesn't have to be really inexpensive. I want something that will last. I am so tired of having to get new cookware every year or so. I would like something easy to clean, but I don't want anything with Teflon or T-Fal or anything that will scratch and come off. It is so unhealthy!

I know that I can count on all my ThriftyFun "friends". I want to research everything before I buy, even if it's not until after Christmas. I just want to start the new year off with new cookware that I don't have to fuss at every time I use it. Thanks.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Answers

I have a set of stainless steel Viking Cookware. It's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. Viking now makes teflon, but make sure that you purchase the cookware that is stainless steel.

Check out the eBay website:

http://home.sho  enQQ_sacatZ11700

Well, I have t fal, and it doesnt "come off"...I also never use anything but wooden utensils. Another item to never use in good pans is the spray stuff, it actually is no good for them, its right in the directions when I got my new set.

Definitely go for the Wolfgang Puck cookware. I use it on a daily basis and have had this set for approx. 3 years. It's won awards, is reasonable, dishwasher safe, available frequently on sale at www.hsn.com, and also on ebay and misc. pieces available at discount stores like such as Ross and The Home Store.
I like it so much that a friend and I purchased a set to give to another friend whose cookware required replacement.
I only have 1 complaint - and that is that the inner brads that hold the handle in place discolor when cooking. Not a big deal, but know that a little steel wool scrub clears it right up. Has to do with the minerals in the water.
http://kitchen-  =hp&ocm=sekw

Have you thought of cast iron? These days. they come preseasoned, and they are a dream to use. Start with a large one to see how you like it. Small ones aren't very useful for every day.

I second the recommendation for the Wolfgang Puck stainless steel. I love it and wonder why anyone went to Teflon after using my stainless set for almost 2 years. It is easy to clean and a dream to cook in.

I enjoy my corning cookware & slow cookers,I do have some stainless fry pans,I can't use my cast iron on the corning ware cook top,when & if the cook top needs fixing I will not own another one,I like to cook with cast iron.
Kathleen,Dothan Al

I purchased Betty Crocker cookware about 3 years ago. It was a super buy - less than $50 for the set of 4 cooking pots and a fry pan. They have been superior in quality and they are an exceptional weight of stainless steel. If you can find them, they are a very good product.

I have several pieces of Pampered Chef cookware. They are all outstanding! The non-stick line is what I use most often, but have one large stainless skillet. I think it is very reasonably priced for the quality, and it has a lifetime guarantee.
FULL DISCLOSURE: Yes, i am a Pampered Chef Consultant, but since you live in Texas and I live in Ohio, I won't benefit from any sale you make! But, if you go to www.pamperedchef.com you can find a consultant in your area. If you have a show, you can even get it for free!! If you would like any more info, feel free to email me directly at muzzlet@yahoo.com. Thanks and good luck!! - Jan

I have a set of revereware, copper bottom. I got my first set a year before my son was born. My son will be 30. The only reason I had to buy another set was, they seem to disappear. They are not $$ either.Almost 30 yrs. later,I still have and use them. I only have 3 out of my first set, but they are great. If they get lost on their own some how, I will buy the same.

Le Creuset: Expensive, cast iron covered in enamel and heavy. Can be purchased at outlets. I have the blue and buy one piece at a time. I don't believe in buying a "full set", I buy what I need and use. Try one out and then decide. Good Luck!

I recommend Swiss Diamond: non-stick surface that really non-sticks, excellent heat conductivity, stay cool handles that fit hands and are good to 500 degree oven temperatures. Can even use metal utensils with them, though I don't!

Hi, When I had a chance to buy new pans 20+ years ago to replace aluminum thin stuff. I looked all over. I watched every cooking show and glued my eyes to what the people on the show used. Allclad was the cooking show favorite then and now (I guess they pay to have them shown, or offer for free). I checked out the consumer magazines and the top 2 were allclad and the colored enamel cast iron ones. That was then. No internet then.

My Allclad are still fine. My set then cost $300+. Emerelware I think is made by Allclad. Of course the shopping channels on TV show nice shiny stainless steel? Can't offer an opinion on them. Check out opinion websites. Good luck making a good choice.

Wolfgang Puck, 100% NO DOUBT about it.

I had to replace my cookware after I had a fire in the kitchen. I purchased Calphal cookware. I love this stuff. Paid more money for it, but it was worth it. I even have a ceramic cook top stove and it just cooks foods very well. I love it. And I would recommend it. You have to pay more but in the long run it will last a long time.

After reading everyone's comments, I'd like to add a few more of my own.
Yes, All Clad and Le Creuset are wonderful. But if you don't have muscles of steel, you won't be able to lift a full pot. Or even a large empty one.
You really need to figure out how strong you are, and how much weight you can easily lift before investing.
You want cookware that has an aluminum disk in the bottom, encased in a steel sandwich - those that have a copper disk have a nasty habit of separating when the hot pot is placed in cool water, thereby rendering you expensive pot trash.
Suggest you go to www.epinions.com, become a member (free) and read the cookware reviews.

Cookware that can stack is more space efficient than those which require separate shelving (Le Creuset, and anodized for instance). Unless, of course, you can purchase a small shelving unit just for your pots and pans.

Anything coated with non-stick won't last more than a year or two with continuous use. Period. Many cookware sets come in steel with one omelette pan just for eggs and is coated in non-stick. This is traditional. Count on replacing that non-stick sooner or later.

Best bet is to go to the nicer dept. stores just to window shop. Pick up those pots and pans, feel the heft, feel the balance, imagine the larger ones full of food and BOILING water- do you need 2 hands? Does it come with a helper handle? How safe do you feel?

Frankly, I like the pots that have 2 small handles - they fit better in the cabinet and usually stack well IF all are from the same brand and model.

Here is a web site site for you for Paderno www.paderno.com also a information& dealer listings:
1-800-A-NEW-POT

Here is a suggestion, from what I do. I buy a medium price non-stick skillet 12 inches. Smaller skillets just aren't used by us. Unless you cook for 1 the 12 inch is the best way to go.

As for other non-stick pieces, I'm not interested in any of them. I still wouldn't trade my allclad.

I just saw @Home cast iron pots looking exactly like Le Creuset cast iron cookware for far less cost than Le Creuset pots. Is there any difference between the two?

By Themba from Cape Town

This post is in regards to West Bend (Kitchencraft) waterless cookware. I saw the demo at the Boise state fair and was very impressed since I'm a P/T chef. The price was way out of my league so I bought a set of Chef Secret on eBay. I guess the saying "you get what you pay for" was truly evident here. I do not care for the Chef Secret cookware at all.

It's cheaply made in China and doesn't work at all like the Westbend. Anyone out there tried Maxam or other waterless cookware for around $250-400? Please let me know if you find something out there that works well.

LA Gordon from Yellow Pine, ID

A friend passed away and the executor has given me some pots and pans which I needed. They are by Health Craft. I had never heard of them until I searched online. Does anyone use them? Do you like them? Thank you in advance.

By Sandy from Baltimore, MD

I bought it yesterday and have 2 days to get out of this purchase. Is this good or not so good? I keep reading how things stick to the pans. Help me please.