Cornstarch Beads

contest winner icon

This is a super easy and fun way to make beads for a necklace or bracelet. All it takes is three ingredients that you have in your kitchen to make the basic beads. I've added color and sealant to mine. You'd never know it was cornstarch!

• 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups table salt
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • acrylic paint of your choice
  • gloss glaze
  • thick needle

Instructions:

1. Bring water and salt to a boil in a pot. Turn off heat and quickly add cornstarch. Stir until it becomes a sticky paste.
  2. Let it cool a bit then pick it up and start to shape the dough in your hands. If needed, add more cornstarch to get the right consistency.
  3. Start rolling beads to whatever size and shape you like. I did slightly larger ones for my necklace.
  4. Once you have your beads rolled out, use a thick needle to poke a hole through each bead.
  5. Let them dry for 24 to 48 hours, depending on how large you make them it may take longer for to them dry.
  6. Once dried, you can leave them white, paint them (like I did) and coat them with a thick gloss glaze. I just used the needle and a piece of thread to turn mine into a necklace. Enjoy!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Great idea! Could they be coloured by adding a drop of food colouring into the mix?

Yes! Most definitely. Just add when finishing up the stirring.

I've only tried it once before and I only had a wee bit of red. They turned out a very dainty pink. :)

Crafts JewelryJuly 26, 2012
🌻
🎂
📓