Lawn MowersMachines

Craftsman Riding Mower Battery Won't Stay Charged

My Craftsman, model 917273022, lawn tractor's battery drains while cutting the grass. I have to recharge the battery to restart. I replaced the stator and still have the same problem.

The alternator may be bad.

You may want to contact their customer services and ask www.craftsman.com/.../warranty-information

I am having a senior moment if the mowers are under the umbrella of life time warranties...sorry...the brain is a terrible thing to lose...so they can tell you that and may have suggestions....If it has a life time warranty...don't mess with it yourself or you could invalidate the warranty.

Better safe than sorry and ask the experts before proceeding!

Good luck!

Do you think the battery is bad? Perhaps you need a battery replacement.

I would contact the manufactures and see if you have a warranty or if they have any trouble shoot suggestions.

Several things to check:

1) Battery wires clean and well connected..
2) All battery cells good.. Ask at auto parts store how to check for dead cell - they will check it for you.
3) Alternator working.. You may be able to find a gauge to check this with at your local auto parts store (they may have one to loan free)
4) Some sort of electrical short (sparks?) with frayed wires maybe under seat..

I would suggest you take your battery to your local auto parts store and let them check it first. Tell them your problem and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Put in new battery and alternator.checked all wiring.battery still being drained.while cutting grass.