Creamy Cucumber Soup
With an overabundance of cucumbers in our garden this year, I tried this hot or cold cucumber soup recipe using avocado for the creamy consistency instead of cream. We loved it and I think you will as well!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 big cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat and add garlic and onion, stirring until tender, 1 to 4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook 1 more minute.
- Peel, core, and cut thin cucumber slices.
- Add 3 3/4 cups of the peeled, cored, thin, cucumber slices, broth, salt, pepper and cayenne, bringing it all to a simmer. Reduce heat ad cook at a gentle simmer until cucumbers are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a processor/blender. Add avocado and parsley, blend at low speed until smooth. Use CAUTION pureeing hot liquids!
- Pour into bowl and add a dollop of yogurt. Chop some of the 1/4 cup remaining cucumber slices. Serve the soup warm or refrigerate and serve it chilled. Just before serving garnish with the chopped cucumber and a sprinkle of the parsley flakes.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!