Creamy Ham, Carrot, and Parsnip Soup

Category Vegetable
This page contains creamy ham carrot parsnip soup. A great way to use up leftover ham is a root vegetable soup.

I made a 12 pound bone-in ham for one of my holiday parties and had a LOT left over. I made leftover ham quiche, ham frittatas, and ham sandwiches. Needless to say, my husband begged, "Please! No more ham! If you use the ham, make sure it's well hidden!" Well, his wish was my command with this soup. There is loads of ham completely hidden. You wouldn't even know it's in there. He says this is the best soup he's had in a long time. (I'm in love with it, too!)

Total Time: 1 Hour

Yield: 10 servings

• 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 parsnip, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups ham scraps
  • 1 ham bone
  • 5 cups water

1. Add oil to a big pot over medium high heat and cook onion, celery, carrots and parsnips. Cook until slightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add minced garlic, cinnamon, ginger, and paprika. Stir around for a minute or two.
  3. Add ham scraps. Stir around for a minute or two.
  4. Throw in the ham bone, 2 bay leaves and 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes.
  5. Most of the meat will have fallen off the bone when it's done. Remove bone and bay leaves.
  6. In little batches, add soup to blender and liquefy until completely smooth.
  7. Serve with garnish if desired. I like a couple mint leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!