Creating Reminders for Yourself

Category Memory Tricks
We all forget to do something such as run an errand or un-mute our phone. This is a page about creating reminders for yourself.

When I want to remember something I need to take with me to work or anywhere the next day, I take a plastic shopping bag (like from Wal-Mart) and I tie it to the handles of my purse the night before.

This is so easy and simple to do and better than writing in a note as a reminder and then losing the note. It works every time for me and if I needed a bag to put the item in, I have it right there ready for me.

By Marsha Fleenor from Greenville, NC

Ever think of something when you are out, then forget it by the time you get home. I have solved that problem for me. I put my name and cell phone number in my contact list on my cell phone. When I think of something like what I need to do later,who I should call later, or something I need from the store, etc., I text myself a message. I can check the message at a later time. Sure is a big help with my senioritis.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL from Bloomington, IL

If I really, really need to remind myself of something important to do, I put a sticky note on the steering wheel of my car. Example: stop at store on way home from work to get milk, go to the bank, etc.

I've had a lot on my mind lately and it's easy to forget to do things I need to do. I can mark things on a calendar and forget to look at the calendar! Duh!

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

I have joked and complained to my mother that I am getting as bad as she is with her memory and I need a dozen alarm clocks around the house to remind me of things I need to do or remember!

We have all left home without our purse, homework, cell, laptop, you name it we have left it. Sometimes, we leave the water running, or the stove on and those booboos can be disastrous.

Small sign with icons over the door lock.

Each time I was putting my cell phone on "vibrate" to be considerate of others or in situations that require it, I was forgetting to turn the ringer back on.

Whether it's an appointment, errand, or groceries, I have 2 simple ways to remember it. I have a small chalkboard in the kitchen where I write reminders and find myself glancing at it automatically several times a day.

To remind myself for an upcoming event or task days, or even months in advance, I send myself a free greeting card from Yahoo. I schedule it to be sent the day before it happens, and forget about it.

I always wear my jewelry (watch and bracelets) on my left arm. To help me remember something, I just remove all the jewelry and put it on my right arm. One glance is a constant reminder.

There are a few smaller items I need to remember to bring each morning. To make things simple, I purchased a place mat from the dollar store.

I traced the outline of each item onto the placemat.

A great way to remind yourself of things like take the garbage out, return movies, an MD appointment, get gas, etc. is to place a note via a magnet with a clip on it for your note to be placed onto the metal door inside your garage on the door that goes into your home.

I put a Post-it on my phone by my bed to remind me to do/get something. The picture shows my reminder to get my credit card back after my husband took it to exchange a gift I bought for him with my credit card. If I had not reminded myself, I would have found myself stuck without my card the next time I needed it.

Reminders Using Post-its

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My hubby keeps an empty soda bottle top in his truck. When I ask him to bring something home or he has an errand that day, he goes and sticks the cap up on the dash.

Having trouble remember to make a phone call? I put the tiny sticky note "call son HB" or "Dr. Jones 10 AM" on my closet door the night before and on my kitchen cupboard where I keep my breakfast cereal.

I was using Red Envelope for an event reminder, but they stopped sending notices. Does anyone have a system that works? One that reminds 2 weeks and 3 days before the event?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers

By Mel (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If you use Yahoo! Calendar and have a cell phone, you can set your events on the calendar and then have it sent to your cell phone, or email. I started using it in September and it has been a life saver. I just input the event on my calendar, set the reminder for 15 minutes to two weeks before the event occurs and I don't forget. It's saved my bacon a few times. Plus, if the event changes, I can make the change and not worry about getting reminders for the wrong dates.

Organizing Memory TricksOctober 27, 2016
📓
🐛
🌻
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Creating-Reminders-for-Yourself.html