Curling a Doll's Hair

Some dolls have hair that can be styled. This is a guide about curling a doll's hair.

How do I make curls for baby doll hair?

By Barbara C. from Atlantic, VA

Answers

Best Answer

This is one way I have learned how to re-curl dolls hair. You put the small curlers used by people who do the perms, in the the dolls hair making sure the hair is curled in the direction you want it to go,as this method is permanent. Then after you have the hair the way you want it dip the hair in a pan of boiling water, after it is off the stove. Let it set in there for about 5 minutes.

Then take the doll let her hair dry naturally on a towel do not remove the curlers until the hair is completely dry. You will have the curls and you can style as you want. This method is a permanent curl. Use as many rollers as you want to curl the hair the more rollers you use the more the curls.

The answer above is very good. I've used it on "fixing" Barbie that I found at a thrift store. However, I didn't leave the hair in the hot water that long - probably less than two full minutes. Also I found that I needed "end papers" for hair that isn't very long. I used tissue wrapping paper, and even some sheer fabric scraps for the endpapers, and it worked quite well.

If you need tiny curlers, you can cut plastic soda straws into lengths you need. Use Bobbie pins to hold them in place. (I liked fabric softener for cream rinse instead of hair rinse.) This is a great project. Look on line for other hints on how to clean/restore dolls.